Boll Aero - my first engine build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One way to help starting with a slightly poor piston fit is to inject a drop of thin oil into the exhaust port, which helps the seal.
It will not work miracles, but helps in marginal cases.
I have kept diesel fuel for several years in metal cans a nd found it still works ok.

Do not give up, it is not unusual to have to make more than one piston on a first engine, it gets easier with practice, and bigger engines are not so tricky as small ones, hence my idea to design a larger engine based on the idea of the ML Midge .

I am now up to a 7.5cc engine which turns a 12x6 prop happily and ran first time, l still had to adjust the contra piston fit a bit by whacking a brass spinner nut into the top of it to expand it slightly so it did not run back when running.

Thanks for the assist with Chrome and the Photobucket extension. Works very well!

Well it did up to page 6 or so and then it would not let me copy the photos which are the most informative part.

Hi Roboguy, Would love to see your photos,seems photobucket needs to be unlocked.
Will keep track on your progress,will inspire me to take the leap.
Cheers
Allen.

Hi all,

Neat to see some interest - it looks like photobucket have gone a bit nuts. I don't have time to move all the photos to a new hosting site and repost the links here at the moment, but I think if you visit my album on the photobucket site directly you should be able to see the images.

http://s604.photobucket.com/user/wlgjafi/library/Boll Aero build?sort=3&page=8

If that doesn't work and anyone desperately wants to see them PM me and I'll figure something out.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to spend out in the workshop for the last 12 months or so. I just can't get diesel fuel or the ether to make any locally, so I intend to try replacing the diesel head with a glow plug head to see if I can get this engine running. If and when that happens I definitely post some updates!

Cheers,
James

Hi Roboguy
For sharing photos i like Pixhost. Its reliable,no missing links.
I was problems with buying ether too.This was reason why i start making glow engines only.

Hi Roboguy,Checked out the photos via your link,thanks for that, Like what your doing And will follow your progress with interest.
Love the Super 7 I have restored one myself over a period of time and will be putting it to good use.
Cheers
Allen.

Hi ixb1, what engine are you holding in your photo? Did you build it and are plans available?

Hi ixb1, what engine are you holding in your photo? Did you build it and are plans available?
This is my latest finished baby MP3.2 which i designed some time ago.You may look at "finished projects".

... I just can't get diesel fuel or the ether to make any locally, so I intend to try replacing the diesel head with a glow plug head ...

Yeah the collateral damage in NZ due to certain illegal drugs is ether is now a controlled substance. So unless someone has some bright ideas, from what I can tell the model "diesel" engines using ether based fuel are a dead duck in NZ.

Such a pity.

Looks like IC's ignition is going to have to be glow plug, Hot Bulb, true Diesel or Spark. Of course if someone has some cunning plan on the ether front I would love to know about it as I am sure would James.

Cheers,
J.

Hi joco-nz, On the subject of etherless fuels I follow an Oz Model Aero Engineer (he writes for several magazines goes by the name of Brian Winch)that has done a fair bit of testing on model compression ignition engines.
Very interesting findings,he also has tested the different oils that are blended in the fuel.
Try his E-Mail : [email protected]
Cheers
Allen.

Hi joco-nz, On the subject of etherless fuels I follow an Oz Model Aero Engineer (he writes for several magazines goes by the name of Brian Winch)that has done a fair bit of testing on model compression ignition engines.
Very interesting findings,he also has tested the different oils that are blended in the fuel.
Try his E-Mail : [email protected]
Cheers
Allen.

Hi joco-nz, There is a a guy here in OZ a model engineer that has been doing research into etherless diesel fuel,has come up with some interesting findings.He proof runs the fuel mixes through a common test engine the results look promising.
He writes articles in many aeromodelling magazines.
Cheers
Allen

Latest posts

Back