Boiler tubes weeping

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warthog

Reaction score
Greetings , the copper tubes in the steel boiler I have built show some weeping.The tubes have been expanded ,but I still cannot get a perfect seal.Anyone with some advise would be appreciated.
Regards, Warthog

Are you using the correct thickness tubes and tubeplate for the expander that you are using?

J

Greetings J, I'm using 19mm dia.copper tubes in to 12mm plates. The expander I'm using is for 19mm dia.tubes. I don't know if I have left too much tube protruding, I have left 4mm. Regards, K

Turn a slow tapered steel drift and tighten 'em with that

I'll ask again is the TUBE THICKNESS correct for the expander, if you are using a lighter gauge of tube the expander may not have enough range to expand a thin wall tube. If you look at this pdf there are several size expanders all for 19mm tube but they vary depending on teh gauge.

http://www.wicksteed.com/public/Wicksteed-booklet-nopage-6.pdf

Also is it a "straight" expander as a flaring one won't be any good

J

Hi all,
Firstly the tube weep when cold or hot. I was told that it was the correct expander for the size tube/wall thickness and size of holes in the plate on the smoke box end.
out here in Darkest Africa one doesn't always get the correct tooling. J, thank you for the information on the expanders.As soon as I get back from the far East I will follow up on them.
Regards,K

Latest posts

Back