Boiler Safety

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
I would like to ask for a bit of latitude here. I am the current chairman of AMBSC, and I would like to state up front that it is most certainly not the case that AMBSC demands money for any of its services.
In brief, in Australia most model engineering clubs are affiliated with the Australian Association of Live Steamers (AALS). A sub-committee of AALS is the Australian Miniature Boiler Safety Committee (AMBSC). This committee has been operating since 1965, and in 1968 published the first of its small boiler codes. This effort was undertaken when the Australian statutory authorities began to take an interest in us, and checking to see that we complied with full-size code practice. When it was agreed that we could not, the authorities "allowed" us to write our own code, sensibly based on the full size codes, but within the practicalities of model practice. Since then the first code (which was for copper boilers only) has developed from the original 16 page A5 booklet into a fairly thorough A4 book of some 56 pages, and is now in its 7th revision. About 1975, after significant demand from modellers, a steel code was published. This is now in its 4th revision, and is currently being revised. (We need to revise both codes on a roughly 5-year cycle; another story!)
These codes each have upper limits of volume and pressure, designated by the authorities many years ago, which keeps our boilers in a particular "hazard level" in the big picture. Within that hazard level, we are allowed to be self-regulating, and can use club boiler inspectors to approve designs, inspect during several stages of construction, test and issue certificates periodically after completion. This authority to be self-regulating is granted to us in the legislature, and our codes are referenced in Australian Standards.
AMBSC sells its codes for about $20 each. This is the only time money is mentioned. There are ongoing costs for the periodic revisions, and of course there are printing costs. I consider the cost to members is very reasonable. They are not in the public domain, and I know of no similar organisation which gives its codes away freely. Perhaps one of our US members will let the group know the cost of the ASME pressure vessel code.
All hobby boilers registered with AMBSC are completely traceable. The registered number stamped on a boiler (this is in fact done immediately after the hydraulic test is complete, whether the boiler passes or fails the hydro-test) indicates the club where the boiler was approved, inspected and tested, the year of first registration, and the running number in the club's boiler record book. These books are subject to random audit by the executive of AMBSC. Whenever a boiler changes owners, copies of all it's records go to the new owner, and the new club inspector is notified, whence the details are recorded in the club record book of the new club.
Boilers will not be allowed to operate at an affiliated club without a current boiler certificate.
All club boiler inspectors are registered with the executive, and we meet annually at the national convention.
All club inspectors are volunteers, and charge nothing for their services to their members. They are protected by our national insurance scheme which most clubs pay into, and there are specific clauses covering boiler inspectors.
I have no idea of what our friend is referring to when he makes such allegations, but I have asked him privately to provide me with specific details, and I will investigate the matter.
I am sorry this is a little long-winded, but I think the organisation (AMBSC) has been a bit unfairly charged. AMBSC does not withhold information, indeed, club boiler inspectors go out of their way to advise and help members build their boilers safely.
It also needs to be said that a small number of clubs have chosen to remain outside the affiliation umbrella for their own reasons, and that is their choice, but AMBSC has been chartered to operate within AALS.
It further needs to be said that building a boiler, of any size or material, is not a cheap exercise, but AMBSC does not add to that cost!
Rather than take up more space/time/??, I will leave it there. If anyone has specific queries, I will be pleased to respond to them.
Regards, Ian Kirby.

Thank you Ian for setting it straight.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Ian for some of the history and the facts.

Tony

G'day all.

Read, mark, learn Ian Kirby's post. The AMBSC boiler codes (copper anyway) are a good read and very instructive. If you are building subminature boilers you will need to get the supplementary code as well.

As Ian K has said, the codes are prepared by volunteers whose only aim is to keep the model engineering hobby below the radar of the industrial inspectors and panicy insurers. You may have to forego a slab of beer or two bottles of sound Ozzie wine but the codes are good value for the read and learning experience.

To the non Ozzies (poor fellows) the codes are still soundly written and would prove very useful.

Professionally I have to read and interpret many codes, most (if not all) are not as helpful as the AMBCS codes.

Off soap box.

Regards,
Ian

Thanks Ian,

How does a non-oz builder get a hold of said code? ;D

Can I buy an electronic copy?.....I have heard many good things about it, so I would like the good read.

Dave

G'day Dave et al.

I bought my codes through Australian Model Engineer, their web site has a catalogue of good books including the codes.

You could also try Plough Books and Minitech.

All the sites can be found on Google.

Regards,
Ian

Hi all,
As well as the suggestions offered by Steam4ian, the AMBSC codes may be ordered from the AALS treasurer, Ross Walker, at <[email protected]>. From memory they are about $20AUD.
Please note that the codes are not legally binding outside Australia and New Zealand, and may in fact not comply with local regulations where you live. In all cases, consult your local boiler inspector, whether s/he be a club inspector, or a professional, for guidance before planning any boiler.
Regards, Ian Kirby.

...and Ian, just fyi, our codes are not meant to get below the authorities' and insurers' radar, rather they are approved and endorsed by both, and we are properly delegated to be legally self-regulating. Any change(s) we make to the codes are approved by both before we publish and operate with them. It is a completely open process.

The information and resources being posted is wonderful. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am learning a lot. It is great to be able know that people all around the world are serious about boiler safety. I thank each and everyone of you for sharing your knowledge. Please keep it up.

Kenny

Latest posts

Back