boiler from bbq propane tank question.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllThumbs

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to make a boiler out of an empty propane cylinder such as this one? Designed for pressure, built in relief valve. Nice size for a small/meduim model steamer. Has it been done?

propane.jpg

Hi
I think i would be tempted to use some heavy wall steel pipe instead
Not sure of the wall thickness taking corrosion in to account
John

It's a very bad idea to apply flame to a container that has ever been used to hold flammable gas or liquid, no matter how much it has been flushed out with air or water. I know of a couple of deaths caused by welding fuel tanks that had been flushed with water for a number of hours, and then filled with water before welding. The explosive power in a tiny amount of residual flammable liquid or gas is unbelievable.

Peter.

AllThumbs said:
Has it been done?

Not and lived to tell the tale !
I cut one about and made a patio burner/BBQ but filling it with water & lighting a fire under it would be a no no.
All our boiler testers would either laugh out loud or faint dead away at the idea.
Mark

The wall thickness will be WAY too small for a steel boiler shell. As to the other - I've cut one in half and made a mini furnace out of it for melting aluminium, so I don't see the application of flame being an issue.

tel said:
The wall thickness will be WAY too small for a steel boiler shell.

Whyis it too small? Due to corrosion you mean, or strictly pressure?

Certainly not enough wall thickness to have any corrosion allowance, or safety allowance come to that. BBQ gas is stored at pressure, but is not subjected to the stresses of lighting a fire under it, heating, cooling etc. 'bout the thinnest steel material I would consider for a shell would be at least 5/32".

They do make a dandy little furnace tho'.

gbfurn3.jpg

gbfurn4.jpg

tel said:
I don't see the application of flame being an issue.

Yeah, but yours is definitely not sealed as it would be if used as a boiler.

Have you posted anything about how you made your furnace. I think there are a few guys who'd be interested in casting.

Peter.

i knew one man a very good welder (blue print ect) guy could build anything.
got a propane tank one day did all the stuff he was taught BUT that one little gas particle in the steel was all it took to end his and a few others lives not to mention the 50 x100 shop. all gone now. this was a very close family freind.
ITS NOT WORTH IT !

Classic said:
Yeah, but yours is definitely not sealed as it would be if used as a boiler.

Have you posted anything about how you made your furnace. I think there are a few guys who'd be interested in casting.

Peter.

That's true, but at under 1/16" thick I don't think I'd be tempted to use one for anything other than their original purpose or as a shell for something like the furnace.

I've done two furnaces, the bigger one has the shell made from the inner of an old water heater.

If there's any interest I could but together a brief something.

75burner1.jpg

tel said:
Tel??? Interest, Hell man we have interest coming out both ends. Tell us what you got.
Tim

tel said:
I've done two furnaces, the bigger one has the shell made from the inner of an old water heater.

Yes please, details and pictures (and more details and more pictures and ....)

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

Tel, I'm interested as well mate ;) ................... go for it ;D

Dave

OK guys, give me a few days to refresh my memory and get things together.

Very definitely interested please
:big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

Julian

Hate to encourge the use of a propane tank but

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=xaA994QiEyU&feature=related[/ame]

A coleman 1lb propane tank as the boiler.

I will answer the question in a way that I hope you can understand.

Hate to tell you this Ranger, but if you carry on doing unsafe things, like the boiler you are using, you WILL end up badly injured, or even worse. No arguing over that, it is only a matter of time and circumstances, and usually when you least expect it. You need to gain RESPECT, not of people, but of safety.

Safety is one of the primary things we convey on this site, and looks like you are not taking any care at all. Just remember, if you have an accident or worse, it isn't just yourself that is affected. Someone has to scrape and clean the mess up afterwards. I can tell you from personal experience, it is not nice picking up bits of body, and dropping it in a plastic bag, and I wouldn't like to have your family go thru that experience.

I would personally get someone to teach you all the safety precautions that are required when handling things such as this. As it looks like your are unaware of all the obvious dangers in what you are doing.

You are doing some wonderful stuff, but I am sure everyone else agrees with me, safety before glory.

John

bbq propane tank for a boiler...probably be ok for a short while...not much margin in the wall thickness though.

But I like the furnace and look forward to some details ........

Yikes!! This one strikes me as a potentially instant one way express ticket to the afterlife. Ranger... I hope you're listening. I can see the furnace idea since it's not a pressure vessel, but the boiler thing is one I'm not too warm and fuzzy with.

Steve

Latest posts

Back