Bob Roach

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H Pearce

Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, mods please move if needed.

I have been trying to contact Bob Roach the designer of the Pratt & Whitney 1/6th scale R-985 and R-1830.
Today I heard from his daughter that after a short illness he passed away this May. We never met but did email a bit. His engineering skills were quite something and I am astounded by drawings of these engines. A great loss to the model engineering community.

I had the pleasure of having met Bob on two occasions after he had learnt I had made a Bentley.
The discussions took place in my work shop where Bob`s knowledge, enthusiasm for future projects and design
concepts made for the most informative afternoons. Indeed a great loss.

My thoughts, prayers and condolences go to Bob's family and close friends. As mentioned earlier, I came across a set of most castings and some 'bits' in 2014. I did have some mail correspondence with him at the time, and he was most helpful.

I did get as far as completing the auto pitch parts and a few other bits.

I would like to locate a set of cylinder barrels (machined or materials) so I can do a bit more work on it. I do need to be careful with costs if there is something available.

Yours sincerely, John Gibson

It is indeed a great loss.

Are the plans still available? I may never build it, but it's worth having just to pour over the drawings.

It is indeed a great loss.

Are the plans still available? I may never build it, but it's worth having just to pour over the drawings.

At the moment no. His family have at this point not found the originals. I have let them know that they would be of interest to allot of people. Hopefully they are located and made available for purchase once again.

Hi There,

Re the parts and information on the P and W Aero Eng. -
When the family are up to it, they may collect plans and parts and, in some way, make them available through this forum.
Regards John (heritech)

I have the plans and cylinder heads. The heads are purchased from Paul Knapp. I will have to dig up his email as he got the molds from Bruce Satra (not sure of the spelling) and is selling castings for the cylinder heads, rocker covers, front nose casting and pistons. I think Paul has more but it has been such a long time ago and hard to say what all he is selling. I spoke with Bob on several occasions and the plans I do have is missing some drawings which he could never find. I am currently drawing all the parts up in CAD which is a huge undertaking and the progress has been very slow.

Latest posts

Back