Blower for The Demon V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey steve,

just checked in here and realized it had been a few months.

im sure you have good reasons, im just itching to hear this thing run!

keep up the good work

Matt

I started making a new crankshaft. I have made 2 changes to my process to try to get better results. I was getting some major chatter. The crankshaft has a front shaft a little over an inch long and a tail shaft more than 2 inches long. Those diameters are at there largest .250 inches. To increase rigidity I made some blocks for the ends with the centers drilled in them that those shafts can slide into and take out the flex. I also changed my tooling. The accepted way to grind tools is to grind a small relief in the center of a parting tool to create a forked tongue in the end. I took a .094 wide parting blade and ground a right hand tool on one end and a left hand tool on the other. I machined the mains and both ends to spec between centers. Then the blocks were installed and the throws were cut in the mill and finished in the lathe one at a time. Absolutely no chatter at all and super nice finish on everything. I suppose I had about 10 hours in the shaft when I went out this morning to finish the last throw. I put the shaft in the vise in the wrong orientation and cut about half way thru the last throw before I realized what I did. Everything was working perfectly except my brain. Tomorrow I start my third!!! I think this is karmas punishment for not taking pictures to post.

Steve,
I won't accept that you are being punished for anything. But everything goes back to the old adage measure twice cut once, been there myself though I've only been doing single throws so far. Good luck with the third.
Art

DSCN1217s-1.jpg~original

Bravo Steve! I had no doubts. woohoo1woohoo1

By the way, what size are the rod journals so I can get a mental picture of the crank size.

Ron

Bravo Steve! I had no doubts. woohoo1woohoo1

By the way, what size are the rod journals so I can get a mental picture of the crank size.

Ron

Its 7 inches long and .980 diameter. Front and rear shafts are .249 and the rear tapers to .190 with a 10-32 thread. The 3 mains are .374 and the rods are .249

Steve,
Now that looks like a crankshaft!
Art

Thanks for the info Steve. That sure helps me to get a sense of proportion.

Ron

Yeah!! That's it! It looks so...so... delicate! And functional at the same time. Beautiful.
Thanks Steve.

Ron

Latest posts

Back