Blower for The Demon V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm setup for round 2. The second blank is shimmed and indicated in. I would cut it right now but we are getting pounded with rain and with my luck the power would go out 10 minutes before it's done.

Not so bad here a little south of you, but did have the same thought go through my head. :)

That's awesome Steve! I'm diggin' the little fixture for machining!

Teflon strips for what? Teflon is for high boost and requires PM. I didn't have strips on my Chevy and wouldn't waste my time and money unless I was racing for a living. Teflon is for racing not modeling.

Seriously? It was a joke due to the detail. I am fully aware teflon strips are for race only.

Well! It's official, I now have a pair.

They still need to be deburred and geared together so i can see how they run together. The fit seems very promising. I'm sure there will need to me some fine fitting with some fine grit sand paper.

DSCN0799s-1.jpg

DSCN0798s.jpg

Well! It's official, I now have a pair.

They still need to be deburred and geared together so i can see how they run together. The fit seems very promising. I'm sure there will need to me some fine fitting with some fine grit sand paper.

DSCN0799s-1.jpg

DSCN0798s.jpg

HA Ha Ha you don't only know how to do miracles with machinery
you also know how to get people stand in front of your picture
awesome work man
simply awsome

That is so Cool Steve! I know zip about blowers. Can you elaborate on the how you developed the profile? The lobes & cavities almost look semi-circle arc based, but impossible to tell where I'm standing. You mentioned 0.005" clearance somewhere, is that between the nominal OD of the rotor & ID of the housing? When one sees cogged drive pulleys, is that to time the lobes between one another (ie with clearance) or are they supposed to line contact roll like gear teeth? Any lubrication issues to contend with? Very impressive!

That is so Cool Steve! I know zip about blowers. Can you elaborate on the how you developed the profile? The lobes & cavities almost look semi-circle arc based, but impossible to tell where I'm standing. You mentioned 0.005" clearance somewhere, is that between the nominal OD of the rotor & ID of the housing? When one sees cogged drive pulleys, is that to time the lobes between one another (ie with clearance) or are they supposed to line contact roll like gear teeth? Any lubrication issues to contend with? Very impressive!

Developed the profile? Can't remember exactly but I do know that I picked a set of gears so the center to center of the rotors is fixed. I remember making the lobe diameter .010 smaller than the valleys to give the .005 spacing between them. The diameter of the rotor is .010 smaller than the bore diameter to give .005 clearance from the case. The 2 rotors are geared together to maintain clearance between them. They can never touch or they will eat them selves up. The only lube issues will be oiling the gears in the gear case.

After 2 days of filing, dying, testing , and sanding, fitting, massageing, and tinkering, well you get the point. The rotors are fitted to the case. The rotors free spin and nothing touches nothing. I was going to post some pictures but I forgot to put the memory card in the camera. I will include some pix next time I post something.

Hahahaa!! Good one!

I just learned that if you right click the box a menu pops up. Click "open image in new tab" and you can view the pix on the photo bucket site. They are not blocked there.

Sorta not really :)
Your looking at them from your cache, but you can go to your pb site and view the thumbnails and whole album's, but the individual pics wont show. So its close.

Back