Bling Time has arrived

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have been busy with a myriad of other things since I completed the "Beam engine at double scale". It is an excellent runner, but rather dull and nasty and full of machining marks. I have purchased a new set of 8" polishing buffs and wax compounds, so I hope to make a shiny steam engine out of a rather common looking one. The attached picture shows the engine in its current state, and I will post updates as I go along.---brian

BLING TIME001 (Medium).JPG

This is my polishing rig.--Interestingly, this was a grinder in the local blacksmith shop in the town where I grew up as a boy. The blacksmith closed up shop about 1980, and my dad bought it at auction. My father has since passed away, and I inherited the grinder, which now does duty as a polisher.-And yes, thats my hotrod, a 1931 ford model A roadster pickup setting in the background---I will be moving the grinder and table outside to do my polishing---I know what a horrid mess it makes.

POLISHING RIG003 (Medium).JPG

Nice job. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Is that a copper base plate??

Eric

Yes, that is a peice of copper, left over from an automation project that I designed and built about 7 years ago.

First part done. This took about 15 minutes on the spiral buff with tripoli compound, and about 5 on the loose cotton buff with white rouge. Then a wash off with paint thinners and a final polishing with chrome polish. I should really have sanded it first with 400 grit paper using my vibrating air sander, but I didn't. It's blingy enough for me!!

FLYWHEEL POLISH003 (Medium).JPG

I'd say it cleaned rather well Brian.

OMG.gif

Beautiful polishing work!

Rick

Finished---And all it took was 6 hours. My wife thinks I'm mad to spend all day polishing steam engine bits, and she may be right. However, I've been wanting to do that for the last 2 or 3 months. The nice thing is, that it runs just as well now reassembled as it did before I took it all apart. (I was worried about that!!!). The entire machine is made from brass and aluminum, except for the mild steel shafts and linkages. The base is made from copper. It all cleaned up really nice----Now I have to go and clean up my mess and put things back into the shop.---Brian

BLINGY BEASTIE003 (Medium).JPG

BLINGY BEASTIE004 (Medium).JPG

BLINGY BEASTIE005 (Medium).JPG

Very nice Brian .......... I'm off to find my sunglasses 8)

6 hours well spent methinks

CC

ok ok enough with the bligging and polish ;) :D ;D whats next on the build list ???

brian i can't wait to see this engine next year at cookstown show :bow: :bow:

chuck

Wow! Nice job! :bow: :bow: Looks like everything polished up very nicely, and I for one like the color the copper adds to the little machine.

And its away to the shower for me now. I'm blacker than Paddys pig. Bling is a funny thing---The shineyer the peice gets, the dirtier the polisher gets.

Lovely job Brian :bow:

Regards
Bob

That makes me SO want to start turning Right NOW! But alas I am still building the wooden throne for my new iron slave Master.
Thankyou Brian

(Heavy Sigh), :-[
Kermit

The old lady has been going pretty overboard printing out paper copies of all those OLD free for the taking books on google. ;D Shame on her. 8)

I hope she doesnt' get tired of it too quick I'm soaking em up as fast as she can feed em to me. Got them in Ring binders, about 40 of them so far with one or two more every day...

It keeps my mind active and I'm finding alot of it still VERY applicable to this time and place as well.

As you see from my icon here; I'll be watching things closely and imitating as well as I am able.

Humbly yours,
Kermit

Latest posts

Back