Blasting away

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeferdog

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I happened to see a small sand blasting cabinet for sale for less than two hundred dollars, AUD$160 in fact and the natural cynic that resides in me sneered and said "That'll be a piece of crap". I cant help'myself, I love a bargain so after close inspection, it ended up in my shed along with a bucket (20kg) of crushed glass (AUD34). After using it for three weeks or so, the only fault I can discover is that the rubber gloves are too stiff and I have replaced them with a more flexible pair. Very happy, can recommend. I mounted it on a small trolley and it just fits under a bench. I run it off a small battery operated vacuum cleaner as too much suction is an issue, a few pics, Cheers, Peter.

Last edited:
Is this the cheap Hare and Forbes one? I've been thinking about trying one out but, like you, figured it would be crappy.

I just use bag sand and outdoor.
Low cost save room.

When move I have very good sand blasting cabinet but just did have the space.

Dave

Using bag sand is begging for a dose of silicosis. Definitely not to be recommended.
I use a N95 mask and stand up wind and let the wind blow.

You do know on windy day there is silicon in the air.

Dave

20200724_092331[1].jpg
20200724_092340[1].jpg
20200724_092502[1].jpg

Is this the cheap Hare and Forbes one? I've been thinking about trying one out but, like you, figured it would be crappy.

Attachments

• Base.jpg
    Base.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 248
Hi Cogsy, I think it is the same, but I got it from Trade Tools as they were $50 cheaper. Here is the link, Sandblasters . I had to join some sort of club to get the discount. Cheers, Peter.

BaronJ, how anyone can make this sort of thing in China, ship it half way around the world to the UK, pay all the freight and taxes, add a profit margin and retail it for 35 quid just beggars belief. Is it any wonder manufacturing in Australia and other places has taken such a hit. The playing field sure looks tilted to me.

BaronJ, how anyone can make this sort of thing in China, ship it half way around the world to the UK, pay all the freight and taxes, add a profit margin and retail it for 35 quid just beggars belief. Is it any wonder manufacturing in Australia and other places has taken such a hit. The playing field sure looks tilted to me.

Beats me ! About all I can say is the importers bring in so much stuff that they can basically set the price that they are prepared to pay, so you get the "Race to the Bottom" syndrome. Pretty much the same as the supermarkets do to the suppliers. There is only one winner, and it aint you !

I built my own stand up cabinet. I built a cyclonic extractor as well. I use Glass beads. It produces a very fine matt finish.

I built my own stand up cabinet. I built a cyclonic extractor as well. I use Glass beads. It produces a very fine matt finish.

Hi Rob,
I like the glass beads too. I also find that they don't seem to get damp like garnet does. The number of times that I've had to bake them in order to stop them clogging.

Latest posts

Back