Black Widow V8 patterns available

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrehmus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend, Dwight Giles owns the patterns to the Black Widow V-8 and is looking for someone to take them over. He sold about 20 casting kits of the engine and now, at his age, does not want to continue.

He also has the drawing set for the engine.

His preference is for someone to take the patterns who will insure they don't get lost and would also prefer that more castings be made of the engine.

Anyone know of a person who would ensure the patterns are not turned into scrap wood?

He will give them to a responsible person or organization.

There are, I think, 14 match boards plus core boxes and he is in no shape to pack them for shipment. So, it would need to be someone who can travel to Northern California. The patterns were refurbished just before he had the last 10 casting sets made by a foundry so they are ready to be used. The match boards have been properly hung so they are not warped.

Mike Rehmus
Editor,
Model Engine Builder magazine
Ken Hurs's engines 626.jpg
Ken Hurs's engines 005.jpg

Patterns and castings plus some machined parts. The patterns and core boxes are what are offered.

I would be interested in a casting set and plans once the new owner sets up. It is cool that you folks are ensuring that The Design and patterns will be maintained for future generations.

I am willing to wait as I have too many unfinished engines as it is.... lol. If someone else wants it go ahead. If not I will take it. PM me with details please if you want to sell. Hopefully it will be a package deal for the castings/drawings?

Martin Model & Pattern has closed a deal with Dwight Giles to purchase the remaining castings to go along with the patterns and drawings for the engine. As soon as possible we will make the casting kit available. We will need to inspect and repair the patterns and line up all the drawings and any other information available to help the home model machinist to build this engine. We will use the existing castings to help the foundry match or exceed the quality that of previous castings. We will also need them to help estimate the cost of the castings so to be able those interested in purchasing a set of castings to have an idea of the total price.

Martin Model & Pattern has closed a deal with Dwight Giles to purchase the remaining castings to go along with the patterns and drawings for the engine. As soon as possible we will make the casting kit available. We will need to inspect and repair the patterns and line up all the drawings and any other information available to help the home model machinist to build this engine. We will use the existing castings to help the foundry match or exceed the quality that of previous castings. We will also need them to help estimate the cost of the castings so to be able those interested in purchasing a set of castings to have an idea of the total price.
Thank you, I will check back in a few months. - Ron

To all that have expressed interest so far in the castings for this engine. Thank you! Please email all of your contact information so that I am able to serve you first when castings are available to Gary Martin at martinmodel comcast.net. Add the @ in the space.

I have been looking over all the patterns, coreboxes, drawings, and the set of castings that Dwight provided for me. I have lined up a foundry to cast these in 356 aluminum and do the heat treating in house. The patterns themselves are in pretty good shape, but I will need to do some modifications to them to meet the foundry standards. The coreboxes are very troublesome though, and I will need to make all new ones as they would not last very long otherwise.

It looks like it would be most cost effective to cast 12 sets of castings at a time. Each casting set with a complete set of drawings will run in the ball park of around $2000. To keep costs down as reasonable as possible, I would appreciate it if anyone else who is interested in acquiring a set of castings to please get in touch with me. So far I have 4 parties on my list. Thanks to those who have responded to date. I would like to see 4 more so we could move ahead with confidence that I am not pouring $15-16.000 for the castings down a rat hole.

Gary Martin
Martin Model & Pattern

Gary,
I am very glad this is in your court. You might consider asking for a 1/4 payment to reserve a casting set for someone with the proviso that you need maybe 8 commitments to have the sets made. If you don't achieve the number of reserves you want, the money gets returned, if you do and they cancel, you keep the payment. Dwight had thousands of dollars of inventory (at cost) sitting on the shelf for more than a year. Hard to keep a small business going with that amount of money sitting on a shelf.
Best,
Mike

Thank you, I will check back in a few months. - Ron
Hey Ron, please email me at martinmodel comcast.net with your complete contact information. Add the @ in the space. I have one Ron already on my list but do not know if it is you or not.

Back