Black Hill Model Engineering Show

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some questions for the South Dakota area members. My wife and I are planning a trip to South Dakota sometime in September primarily to see Mt. Rushmore. I see there is the Black Hills Model Engineering Show September 21 and 22 and I might be able to schedule my trip to coincide with the show.

It looks like Saturday would probably be the best day to visit the show. What is a reasonable time to allow myself? Are there vendors, demonstations, member displays and that sort of thing?

While we are in the area, what are other good places to visit while we are in the Dakotas? I think I should have around three days in the general area.

One last question, how about good eating places that we should try. I enjoy a good breakfast or steak dinner.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

Steve, the Black Hills show is a small show, but the models on display are as nice as anything you'll see at NAMES or Cabin Fever. The vendors are few. Bernie from Hobby Metals Kits LLC, attends with a nice line of aluminum, steel, and brass. There is usually also a couple of used tooling vendors. However, the big plus to these small shows is that you have a chance to visit and get to know the other attendees and exhibitors. Black Hills is a fun show. I've attended the last two years on my way home from MT. Cliff does a fine job putting the show on. How much time to allow depends on you. You could buzz through in an hour or you could spend half a day or more.

You'll enjoy Mt. Rushmore. Be sure to attend the night program. Iron Mountain Road (16A) is a winding scenic road out of Keystone, south toward Custer State Park. Custer State Park has a very nice and educational visitors' center. In the town of Lead, the Black Hills Mining Museum is worth seeing as is the Sanford Lab Homestake Visitors Center. Needles Highway is worth the drive. Chapel in the Hills, in Rapid City also comes to mind.

Enjoy the trip.

Chuck

Back