• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bison Set-tru 6" 3-jaw chuck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philipintexas

Reaction score
I have a brand new chuck I just bought and now I'm have second thoughts about needing it.:mad:
It includes a Bison backing plate for D-1-4 lathes. In original shipping container with all paperwork for warranty registration, and is still covered in oil from the factory. Until Aug, 19, $825 including shipping within the U.S.

PICT5127_zps653e283f.jpg

PICT5125_zps50881625.jpg

PICT5124_zpsa31c6a7d.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same chuck but in a 6 jaw version. With the set tru I have it set at .0001 TIR with a .750 dowel pin. The TIR will vary a bit based on work size, but the ability to zero the error is great thing.

Not likely to get full retail price on a site like this. But it is a place to start. If you want to see what as-new stuff sells for check ebay Completed Sales, red is unsold green is sold. If you already bought it, why not just use it.

I have both the 3 and 6 jaw version of this chuck; I have been really happy with both of them. I have never really understood why they (Bison) didn't put the jack screws across from each other; like most every other adjustable chuck has.

The two piece jaws also give you the option to use soft jaws; which can be real handy for some types of work.

My vote would also be to use and enjoy this nice piece of tooling.

Dave

Thanks guys, I just have other priorities right now. The best price I see on EBAY for the same item is $1,099, and chucks without a backing plate sold for $826. I am offering mine for an immediate savings of $275. If someone finds a new 6" set-tru chuck + mounting plate at a fairer price I will consider matching it. My intention is to offer forum members a better deal than any I can find today.

Last edited:
Phil I see these have removable jaws. Does bison sell soft jaws for this chuck ? as these can have advantages over hard ones. I know they should not be hard to make.
Tin

I'm pretty sure they sell anything one could possibly need. They seem to have a complete system in their chucks.

I'm pretty sure that they are American standard tongue and groove jaws available from most any industrial supplier like MSC etc.

Dave

I have a 3-jaw chuck with 2-piece jaws for which I made soft jaws from aluminum barstock. I just duplicated the dimensions on the upper steel jaws.

I'm leaving on a long road trip mid Aug. I'll make a good deal better, I'd like to complete this sale before then. Until Aug 19 The price is $825 shipped in the U.S.

Last edited:
Back home again and I'd like to sell this item, $775 shipped within the US. I'll also throw in a set of 6 - R8 collets, 1/8" - 3/4", in 1/8" increments. New in the box.

Last edited:
http://www.kbctools.com

similar with plain back for $545.22

By all means, buy from them, similar and cheaper, wow.
HOWEVER, If you want to compare to EXACTLY what I'm offering, $1,065 appears to be the cheapest comparison I could find on the site you specified.

For anyone who is actually looking for this item TO BUY, if you find a cheaper advertised price let me know and I'll probably match it.

Last edited:
FYI, KBC Canada shows that chuck at $1184 CanukBuks.

Ive got a few Bison chucks & acc & think they are great. But man, prices have gone through the roof lately. Probably more than double in 5 years, yet our currency is 40% better. Go figure.

I got a good deal on a 4" Bison thread back chuck for my dividing head (through KBC) recently. The sales rep said their prices just keep increasing citing 'higher production costs'. Apparetly thats why they no longer carry TOS, same story. So my chuck arrived, very nice, accurate. It was stamped year 2005! :confused: I guess in the end they sell for whatever the market bears.
Apologies for the side story. If it was a 6-jaw or one of those fancy-schmanzy 4-jaws that self close themselves I would have been interested. Good luck.

2013-10-17_183425.jpg

Latest posts

Back