Birth and Death of a crankshaft - a.k.a. "I had a huge Stupid Attack!!!!"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicej32

Reaction score
After a few days off in my shop I decided it was time to tackle the crankshaft for my Upshur Farm engine. I decided I would machine it out of 1018 steel as one piece as described in the plans. I milled it to size, marked out the offset centers and rigged up a between center setup on my Taig. I grind up some hss tools according to an article in Model Engine Builder. On my little Taig, machining steel this size is a slow and tedious process. I figure I put in about 1 to 2 hours a day for about a week in my spare time to just machine the main journal. Here's a picture of my nice shiny finished journal:
DSC02080.jpg

Very satisfied my result, I proceed to unmount the part so I can saw off the excess material so I can turn the crankshaft ends on the 1/2" off set center. I mount the part in my vise and cut down the middle first on both sides of the journal. Cutting 1/2" steel with a hacksaw is cruel and unusual punishment but lacking a bandsaw, the only alternative.
DSC02082.jpg

After about half hour of intermittent cutting, I finish the longitudinal cuts. All I have left are two 1/2" cuts across the part. I remount the part in my vise and cut away. Have you guessed yet what I did? First the picture:
DSC02085.jpg

Pretty nice huh? A 0" THROW CRANK!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say it's hard to convey what I felt at the moment. After considerable expletives in English and Spanish I had to walk away from my shop. It was only yesterday after 4 days that I was able to get back in the shop. There's no way I'm going through the ordeal again of machining a one piece crank on my small equipment. After looking at it for a while, I decided to try to salvage some of it by combining the machined journal/web with a pinned and soft soldered shaft. Here's where I'm at:

DSC02086.jpg

Looks like it's going to work. I'll have to make a few spacers as the main journal/web assembly is about .10" too narrow but that should not be a problem. I'll continue updating soon. What was that saying, "Measure twice cut once?" Lesson learned!!!!

Jenaro

Don't beat your self too bad....anyone who says they have'nt pulled a boner...hasn't built anything.

What hurts is your already done with the hardest part!...the Journel!

Oh well

I think you recovery approuch is on the mark!....good luck! :)

Dave

Jenaro,

Having made similar mistakes in the past, I've adopted the practice of marking the pieces to be cut away with a large 'X' using a Sharpie with a color that contrasts with the metal. Only takes a minute and has saved my bacon a number of times.

Just be sure, after doing the marking, to check the marked up block against the print to ensure that you haven't mismarked. DAMHIKT.

dicej32 said:
Pretty nice huh? A 0" THROW CRANK!!!!!!!!!

@#$@#$@$@#$@#! lmao! I gotta give you a karma point for that, takes a big man to admit his mistakes; you're a giant among men :big: :big:

might not help much now while you're in pain, but think of the years of of grins you'll get thinking back on that one.

good save on it though

Cranks are always tough...
My first crank was at the same state as dices, after the last pass on the center throw and being ever so carefull, I just cranked the carriage back.....before I shut her down.....&%@#^%#! :mad:

I showed it to my mentor at the time ( fully expecting I would be making another) and he laughed histerically as he knew EXACTLY what I had done...

On a whim,he layed the now pretzel shaped crank on the bed of his HUGH mill and hit it twice with a babbit hammer....amazingly enough it bent right back into shape and only had 0.003" run-out...used it as is....still runs! ;D

If your gonna bake a cake...you gotta break some eggs!...and it's not always pretty!

As time goes by...you will giggle more

Dave

Jenaro,
Thanks for sharing that. It will keep me on my toes for the next few days as I machine a new engine cylinder for the first time. Being able to salvage the part is good. You can always go back and remake the part later.

Cheers,
Phil

At work and at home I keep a couple messed up pieces in a frequently used drawer of my toolbox. It keeps me humble when I start getting cocky. Nice save though.

Life handed you a lemon and you made lemonade. Excellent. :bow:

BTW, I also have a subscription to Model Engine Builder. I've got all the back issues to #13. Waiting for this years first issue. Haven't seen anything and it's the begining of April. What's going on?

Bernd

Thats a good question, I kept meaning to call

So I did........sorry don't want to hijack here so I will be very brief.

Toni and Mike are working feverishly on it. I am told issue 14 will be complete soon.

They're good people, they'll come through.

Dave

You know, there are worse things than the "stupid attack". At least when you really screw up badly, it is obvious you should start over. What I hate are the "near misses." With a near miss, you are so close, you are tempted to try to force things to work out. Hours can be wasted to achieve a mediocre result at best, and total failure is a more common outcome. Knowing when to just scrap the part and try again is some judgement that I guess must take quite a lot of experience.

Now this eccentric crankshaft turning sure does look like some fun to play with. I guess I'm going to have to start making a list of engines I want to build. So far my project wish list is all tooling, but I must say, this site has opened my eyes to so many interesting engines its amazing.

Thank you all for that!

Best,

BW

Jenaro I doubt there is anyone here that hasn't made at least
ONE fatal exception on a part.

A few of us have had the pleasure of doing it at work.
It's a long walk to the formen's office when your trying to
come up with a good reason for why it happened...

At home it's a different story.
Your plan for the salvage is just a minor adjustment of the
original plan. ;)

Rick

Back