Birmingham ycl-1660 lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murr

Reaction score
Congrats! That looks like a really nice machine.

That's a beauty! Lucky you! One day I'll have a machine shop of my own.I used to have a fantastic double garage with the same size area again next to it.The building being over 50ft long by 20ft,single storey.Sadly I was forced to move with the rest of the family and now only have a single garage crammed full of crap.My roll cabs went in there with the compressor,welder etc when we moved here 14 years ago and have been under a sheet since then,only being used and checked every now and again.My mini lathes C0 and C3 plus the X2 mill are in my kitchen (of the annex I live in next to the main house garage) with bin liners over them to keep the dust off.There's not really enough room or sturdy surfaces on which to use them.I bought a new Hilti steel bench(nice one with ball bearing draws) that just fits in but you cant open the front door fully now,the C3 in it's packing case (it's been in there since it arrived 5 or 6 years ago)is sat on top of it.At least I have my vice fitted to the bench! I would like to get some decent sized machines.When one of the big rooms in the main house become vacant I'm moving my workshop in there.Don't know how many more years of waiting it's going to be.

Nice looking lathe, you get any chucks and other tooling with it ?
You waiting on a Rotary phase convertor or a Static box ? If the lathe motor stays running and the lathe has a clutch for on and off the static box would work OK If the motor turns on and off then I would go with a Rotary, most of which sell for $500 to $1000 USD. It's not that difficult to make your own Rotary converter. Mike

Nice looking lathe, you get any chucks and other tooling with it ?
You waiting on a Rotary phase convertor or a Static box ? If the lathe motor stays running and the lathe has a clutch for on and off the static box would work OK If the motor turns on and off then I would go with a Rotary, most of which sell for $500 to $1000 USD. It's not that difficult to make your own Rotary converter. Mike

I'm waiting on a rotary control box for the spare 10 hp motor I have which should run the 7.5 hp motor in the lathe pretty good. It came with a 10 inch 3 jaw, 12 inch 4 jaw, 14 inch faceplate, jfk collet closer, 4 way tool post and a KDK tool post. Also it has the steady and follow rest.

Latest posts

Back