Big changes at the Rupnow Ranch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Now that I am finished machining for a while, I decided that it was time for a major office upgrade. I was running out of room to display all of my engines, and the cheap laminate flooring that I put in ten years ago had totally lost it's surface in the area where my computer chair rolls around and was leaking grey sawdust all over my office. I called Alexanians (the flooring people) and was quoted $2000 to tear up my old laminate flooring and install new, better quality flooring. Okay, time for an alternate plan!! The floor was only damaged in the area where my chair rolls around, the rest of the floor was fine. Some Googling yielded the fact that I could order anti-static mats made of a black nylon material for $110 each, and that two of them would totally cover the damaged area of the floor. I did a patent drawing for an inventor last week, and that gave enough money for two anti-static mats and five 2" x 8" spruce planks. I turned the wooden planks into a set of shelves to mount on the wall behind my computer, and armed with double sided tape I stuck down the new anti-static mats with tape all around the perimeter. I'm very pleased with the way it all turned out. All I have to do now is repopulate all of my bookshelves with the rest of my engines and pieces of engines.
ZQWuaL.jpg

cGdlGV.jpg

Paul--It amazes me too. that's what happens when you're an old techy and your arthritis gets too bad to let you build hot-rods anymore.---Brian

Brian, that really looks good and a lot more attractive than books and I know we need books but if had to show off something it would be your engines, there is a lot of hours of work there not counting cleaning chips, sure wish the would vanish when we machine them off, thanks for sharing with us, Joe

Now that I am finished machining for a while, I decided that it was time for a major office upgrade. I was running out of room to display all of my engines, and the cheap laminate flooring that I put in ten years ago had totally lost it's surface in the area where my computer chair rolls around and was leaking grey sawdust all over my office. I called Alexanians (the flooring people) and was quoted $2000 to tear up my old laminate flooring and install new, better quality flooring. Okay, time for an alternate plan!! The floor was only damaged in the area where my chair rolls around, the rest of the floor was fine. Some Googling yielded the fact that I could order anti-static mats made of a black nylon material for $110 each, and that two of them would totally cover the damaged area of the floor. I did a patent drawing for an inventor last week, and that gave enough money for two anti-static mats and five 2" x 8" spruce planks. I turned the wooden planks into a set of shelves to mount on the wall behind my computer, and armed with double sided tape I stuck down the new anti-static mats with tape all around the perimeter. I'm very pleased with the way it all turned out. All I have to do now is repopulate all of my bookshelves with the rest of my engines and pieces of engines.
ZQWuaL.jpg

cGdlGV.jpg
Brian,
Nice work, and an inviting space. Quite an impressive collection of machines you've built!

Seeing the spindle sander in your office made me chuckle a bit as I'd think that would spew much more sawdust than the flooring.

Evan

That spindle sander is not used on wood. It only gets used on radiused inside corners of aluminum or steel components that I have no other method of sanding the inside corners on.

Metal dust that better.
If did that inside my house my wife would not be happy.
She has me do all sanding both metal and wood out side.

Dave

That spindle sander is not used on wood. It only gets used on radiused inside corners of aluminum or steel components that I have no other method of sanding the inside corners on.

Hi Brian:
Really nice job of clean up and display. I was wondering what you did with the Thumper engine as I did not see it.
You said you did build hot rod and I was wondering why as a hot rodder you didn't do to the Thumper like you would
a hot rod and put multiple carb's on it for more power. Just a thought! More fuel more power!
Still stuck here in Michigan USA
Bill Thomas

Can't show this to the wife, she'll make me tidy up !

That's an impressive collection of engines.

Regards, Ken

Wonderful display Brian and more importantly a great achievement in the time well spent.
hope you have a few Grandson and or Great grandsons to benefit from your achievement.
Stay well, John

Latest posts

Back