bevel gears? is it possible?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickstock

Reaction score
is it possible to make bevel gears?
ive seen how to make normal gears on a mill but cant see if it possible
this is for my new veloocylce so its on a medium scale

It's absolutely possible. There are specs on how to cut them from several sources not the least of which is Ivan Law's book on gear cutting.
The process is to set up your dividing tool at 45 degrees and with the proper tool, either involute or home made, cut the teeth. The process involves using a cutter that will cut the narrow end of the tooth with the proper width and somewhat of the right tooth profile. The dividing tool is then rotated by 1/4 of the tooth width and the cutter is offset by the following formula: pi/(4xDP). Lets say you have a DP of 48, then the calculation would be 3.1416/4x48 = 3.1416/192 = .0164.
Or you could buy them.
gbritnell

...what everybody else has said. You can't make bevel gears to mate with commercially-produced ones unless you have some pretty fancy equipment, but you can make workable bevel gears that will mate and work with each other. They have a somewhat different geometry than commercial gears, but it is nonetheless satisfactory.

IMO, Ivan Law's book is The Word on making gears in a home shop.

You can make your own bevel gears. But your experience may not be all that satisfying. If you just want to do it to learn something, do the research and go for it. If you want to try to save money, just say no. Depending on the use of the gears, your success will be variable. If the gears are to drive something more than a governor weight, they probably won't work that well.

Here is a source for bevel & miter gears as well as a lot more neat stuff at reasonably good prices.
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/

maury
www.lonestarengineworks.com

It can be done but there is more to it than just cutting gear teeth as gbritnell has stated you need to adjust several times to get them to come out right. I have made several that worked just fine with commercial gears but it is a lot of extra work. I only did it just to see if I could.

Possible? Heck yes! And relatively straightforward. This pair were 'planed' in the Myford, with the top slide set over.

rvgov3.jpg

thats pretty much what i need to make only a little bigger, to take about half a horspower.
its to run in a pedal powered car, so i dont have to have a crappy solid axle

In the book Building the Climax by Kozo Hiraoka he details how to make skew ie offset bevel gears, including how to make the required cutters, arbors and gear holding jigs. And he did it all the lathe.

Latest posts

Back