best motor oil

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredepeterson

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
what is the best motor oil I can use on my Mazdaspeed protege...
i keep hearing that ams motor oil works great but I wanna know what yall have to say about good oils

My wife has a 94 Miata with 1800 cc engine which may be similar. We only use fully synthetic oil and the brand makes no difference.

If you are serious about this aspect of engine maintenance find an oil analysis lab and buy a case of their sample kits. At each oil change capture enough oil for analysis and watch the wear indicators and oil life remaining. Mostly we throw away good oil by changing too early but this is something that you can watch using oil analysis.

It's probably more important to use premium fuel with engine cleaners included in the blend. That is better maintenance than selecting a brand of synthetic oil, in my opinion.

Viscosity, all Mazda engines and models: 5W-30 or 10W-30.
According to Mazda, "Engine oil viscosity or thickness, has an effect on fuel economy and cold-weather operation (starting and oil flow). Low-viscosity engine oils can provide improved fuel economy and cold-weather performance. But high temperature weather conditions require higher-viscosity engine oils for satisfactory lubrication. When choosing an oil, consider the temperature range your vehicle will operate in before the next oil change." Then select the recommended viscosity from one of the above two grades.

(I am car mechanic :) )

Newbie's third post and it's to start an oil thread? Sheesh.

Newbie's third post and ...

I newbie..? :)

Meg og motor.jpg

Hi everybody,
what is the best motor oil I can use on my Mazdaspeed protege...
i keep hearing that ams motor oil works great but I wanna know what yall have to say about good oils

fredepeterson..

Since you're new to the forum, this place is not exactly a car forum. Here we are talking about model engine and machine tools.

And you allready got the info about viscosity for your Mazda car since i am car mechanic in post #3.

Latest posts

Back