Bernay Engine Build Problems

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swift752

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Been working on the Bernay. Darren was good enough to get me the plans some time ago.

Plan sheet B-3D shows the block width as 1.50" BUT the width at the shaft bearing is 1.84". Now, plan sheets B-2B and B-2C show the cylinder head dimension as 1.80". This has to be a mistake, right? It should be 1.50" same as the block, not including the crankshaft bearing extensions. Just help me confirm I'm seeing this right.

Also, the piston rod has a box in the middle of it. It can either be soldered, brazed, or silver soldered. Will solder be strong enough for this situation? I have a good press fit from the rods to the boxes . I have already soldered it all together. I assembled the boxes and rods with paste and flattened very thin solder in the joints. The rods wicked the solder very well. Will this be strong enough? Hope so. Would like to hear from Bernay builders. Thanks. Bob

The drawing of the assembled engine B-7A shows the round heads extending beyond the 1.5" block, as does the original 1878 etching.

If they were 1.5" dia you would have the 4 fixing holes breaking through the edges.

Well she's all machined. Any suggestions on where to start with timing this thing? Should I start with the Pistons at TDC and rotate the eccentric to the highest point? The valves are the same for all steam engines but this one has a lot more going on. I'd appreciate any help. Swift 752 Bob

Latest posts

Back