Bending of thin wall tubes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello George
It does work reasonably well but so does very fine sand well packed into the tube. Sand has the advantage that the tube can be annealed with the sand still in.

Cheers Kevin

hello George
It does work reasonably well but so does very fine sand well packed into the tube. Sand has the advantage that the tube can be annealed with the sand still in.

Cheers Kevin

Hi George,
In the UK the trade name is CERROBEND and has been around for longer than I care to remember.
When I worked for Rolls Royce, making their cars, we used to use it when we bent the stainless steel body trims and window frames to shape. We just kept it in a pan of nearly boiling water so it was always ready to use. Then after use it is just remelted out with boiling water and reused, it worked very well.

John

I've been told, although I've never tried it, that table salt works well too. The cubic shape of the grains has something to do with the way it behaves within an enclosed area. Easy to remove with water too.

Steve

Apparently they use the low melting point metal filler system in Brass musical instrument making...you must admit they do get pretty fair bends.

Back