Bending brass tubing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a vid on my bending brass tube for the first pipes I made for the Little Demon engines. I used a corn meal packing too keep them from collapsing while bending plus annealed before bending.

One of the most informative U Tube things is the How it's made one on making French horns. They use a form of pitch( pun not intended) instead of an alloy which melts at 70C from Fry's Metals. It's in one of my late wife's huge library on music.
However, the video which I clear ly like is how to remove dents and kinks in tubing by forcing a number of correct diameter ball bearings into the damaged tube.

Back in the day we used to cap one end of the tube then fill it with water making sure to leave enough room for expansion. Then put the tube in the deep freezer and let freeze. Then using a tubing bender or a Mandel bend the tubing how ever you need it. This works great on thin wall tubing if you have the time

Sometimes it is necessary to start with a longer tube. You need enough length on the back end to get a firm hold and enough to establish the tangent at the end of the bend. The excess can be trimmed off after the bend.

Latest posts

Back