Bench Height

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff

Reaction score
I am getting ready to build a bench for my Smithy 1220 lathe/mill and due to health issues I can't stand for very long so I will be running it setting down most of the time and I wanted to get some of you folks ideas on how high to make the bench I will be setting in a office chair.

Cliff

I find setting a table so it is at 'elbow' height gives me the proper working room.

adjust from there to suit the equipment sitting upon it.

Kermit

What about making a stool that is the right height with a padded back and seat, less trouble then a new bench

Thanks for your help Kermit. Loose Nut I have to make a new bench anyway cause of the old one was out in the weather and got uncovered and I wasn't able at the time to take care of it. Thanks

Cliff

Cliff,
No matter what height you build your bench it will be the wrong height for some operations. When standing we can flex our knees or tip toe to alter our height to compensate. A good adjustable chair/stool can help overcome some of this lost mobility when sitting.

I have one machine that I normally operate while sitting down. About 8 years ago I bought a utility chair/stool from Staples. It cost about US$70 at the time. It replaced a standard office chair that had been using. It has a gas spring lift that adjusts the seat height from 20 to 30 inches. It has become my favorite work stool as I can easily adjust it to suit my working conditions, and even change it a bit to relieve back tension caused by staying in one position too long. Most everything is adjustable on it. The adjustable foot rest is nice as it lets me get my feet off the cold floor in winter and the adjustable back lets me sit back and contemplate what the next operation is going to be. Sometimes these are listed as drafting stools.

Just mentioning this as I think what you are sitting on is almost as important as the bench height.

Gail in NM,USA

I am 5' 11" and 39" to the top of the bench works well for me.

It does tend to put the vice a bit Hi. The top of the vice is supposed to level with your elbow for filing ect. I seem to work around that though.

Dave

if you have access to a fork lift you could put your machine on a thick piece of plywood then use the forklift to adjust the height till your comfy the build to that. as far as a vice you could mount it to the side of the bench and a bit lower for filing ect. maybe even have it swing in and out with a way to lock it in place.

Thanks everybody for your input on my bench especially you Gail I like the idea about a drafting stool I think I am going to check into one. Again Thanks Cliff.

Back