Belt sharpening system

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnimill

Reaction score
I've modded my own Record Power belt sander for sharpening duty but I've also used one of these if anyones in the market for a sharpening system:

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/proedge.htm

Bit pricey but well made. The only slight niggle is that belt changing could be much quicker and easier and if I were designing one from scratch I might make the platen and belt a bit longer. Overall though, very useful.

I wonder if the far east will start making these at some point - maybe an opportunity for some one on here ...

There are numerous makes of belt sanders that can be easily adapted to do the job of the one you show.

Also for the British contingent, Lidl have belt sanders from time to time. Although designed as floor sanders, they come with a useful adapter to allow them to be clamped to the workbench.

Belt sanders have some advantages over the traditional off hand grinder for tool sharpening, the most obvious is that it is much easier to maintain a straight tool edge instead of ending up with a concave one. Must look into getting one!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

This is my modified BDS250

_IGP2936.jpg

;D

Latest posts

Back