Belated Greetings and Introduction From Mississippi

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy Ott

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m about two years late with this. I’ve responded to a few posts since joining but mostly I have been just reading and enjoying the photos of all the marvelous engines being made.

I got my machinist training at the high school level (not the typical HS ‘shop’ but real training’) but never worked as a machinist. Went on to college, and then taught 7th & 8th grade for one year. Went back to grad school to pursue a masters in analytical chemistry while applying to dental school. Dental school happened before finishing the masters degree and I’ve been looking at teeth for the past forty-three years. But I have always had some sort of metal and woodworking tools, even if they were only a Unimat SL and WWII-era Sears 8-inch table saw. I occasionally now do commercial work, always some one-off that other shops don’t want to bother with. I don’t seek them out, they just somehow find me.

My collection of machinery has grown over the years to where it now, on the metal working side, includes a Clausing surface grinder, Hardinge TM horizontal mill, Logan and Enco lathes, Kopfer automatic gear hobber, Atlas 7-inch shaper, 14-inch metal and wood cutting band saw, virtually every tool or attachment George H. Thomas designed plus Professor Chaddack’s Quorn. The woodworking side is equally equipped for cabinet making and wood turning. The metal-working machinery is all old, heavy cast iron from the early fifties. Except for the Enco, that was made 1987, iirc. With the exception of the old ShopSmith all the woodworking stuff has been replaced with new in the past few years. For the past twenty-four years I have also been fortunate to have a purpose-built shop with it’s own electrical service and meter. That covers the basics, I think. Questions, if any, will be happily answered.

Yes, but with a lot of time in between. I have not been a good photographer of my efforts over the years and little to show. This is an engine I made for my son when he was about eleven. He’s forty-two now and the engine has aged as well.
1616373966612.jpeg

Attachments

• 1616373998404.jpeg
    1616373998404.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 237
my son still has that engine, the others have drifted away to other homes and I haven’t kept up with them. In progress now is a triple expansion of familiar form, being built without castings.

1616374647286.jpeg

I’m trying to do better about recording progress. This was taken last fall and I do have more current photos, but they are a different device I don’t have with me right now.
in the planning stages is an approximately 1/4 scale Chrysler Slant Six.

Yes, but with a lot of time in between. I have not been a good photographer of my efforts over the years and little to show. This is an engine I made for my son when he was about eleven. He’s forty-two now and the engine has aged as well.
View attachment 123908
Does this machine have a name? Did you design it or does it have drawings?

my son still has that engine, the others have drifted away to other homes and I haven’t kept up with them. In progress now is a triple expansion of familiar form, being built without castings.

View attachment 123910
I’m trying to do better about recording progress. This was taken last fall and I do have more current photos, but they are a different device I don’t have with me right now.
in the planning stages is an approximately 1/4 scale Chrysler Slant Six.
Which triple expansion is this?

Ah, i've been looking for that, I thimpfk, for a long time. I have trouble finding it. I have found some other triple expansions. Here is a really strange one. This is all I know about it is the photo. Could you tell me where you got your Bolton plans from?View attachment 123948
There was a series on building the Bolton triple in Model Engineer in late 70’s, early ‘80’s, I think. It was on building the engine with some modifications, I cannot recall the title of the series. I am in Spokane, Washington right now and cannot check my stuff for the actual series title and issue numbers. Maybe someone else here can pull it up, but if not I’ll do that when I return home this weekend. Anyway, I’m using those plans.

There was a series on building the Bolton triple in Model Engineer in late 70’s, early ‘80’s, I think. It was on building the engine with some modifications, I cannot recall the title of the series. I am in Spokane, Washington right now and cannot check my stuff for the actual series title and issue numbers. Maybe someone else here can pull it up, but if not I’ll do that when I return home this weekend. Anyway, I’m using those plans.
Whoa--Spokane? Do you live near Spokane? I'm in Moses Lake. Are you of the "Soviet" or are you from Idaho or Montana? That's too kool. So this was in some series--Model Engineer. Hmmm. I'll try to find that. Thanx

I’m not positive, but I think the Ozoff Wall Engine is also from plans printed in Model Engineer. Could be from Live Steam or Home Shop Machinist though, as I was getting all three magazines at the time of that build.

Whoa--Spokane? Do you live near Spokane? I'm in Moses Lake. Are you of the "Soviet" or are you from Idaho or Montana? That's too kool. So this was in some series--Model Engineer. Hmmm. I'll try to find that. Thanx
I was born and grew up in Spokane, and lived here until moving to Southern California to go to dental school. My sister, brother and I are here now at my Mom’s bedside. She is 94, only a couple months short of 95, and she went into kidneys failure Wednesday. We got here as soon as we could and have been at her side since Friday.

I was born and grew up in Spokane, and lived here until moving to Southern California to go to dental school. My sister, brother and I are here now at my Mom’s bedside. She is 94, only a couple months short of 95, and she went into kidneys failure Wednesday. We got here as soon as we could and have been at her side since Friday.
My grandmother died at 95 too.

I've been searching for triple expansions and I have found one in vol 106 #2653 with a few types and only photos. I'm still searching.

So sorry to hear about your mom - sending up a prayer for you.

Ha! All this talk on the Q4OS has got me thimpfking that I might be able to use a Linux Distro on my old laptop. It acted like it was all virused (probably corona-covid). I'll try this in a few days to see if that works. If it does, I can get all my files out AND have a linux box!

Ha! All this talk on the Q4OS has got me thimpfking that I might be able to use a Linux Distro on my old laptop. It acted like it was all virused (probably corona-covid). I'll try this in a few days to see if that works. If it does, I can get all my files out AND have a linux box!

If you are expecting to install some variant of 'Linux' AND retrieve errant M$ files - - - - I would suggest that you start by using 'systemrescue cd' to be found at system-rescue.org . I have used said tool a number of times and can verify that if you 'follow the directions' (they're reasonably good and quite clear compared to other technical tools I've run into!!) you should be able to rescue your files first - - - - then and only then do you get to work on installing something else.
I wish I had a working very old laptop to use for portable computing. If you were closer I would suggest you come for a visit - - - - where I think I would be able to achieve for you (with your permission) what you desire. Watching someone else do for me was my entry point into Linux.

Latest posts

Back