beginner question ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaqtor

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here. I was browsing the forum and found amazing engines designs, my question is Why you build these engine ?, it's cool, but can it be used for something useful ?

thanks.

Hi;

I can’t speak for others but I’m a self-taught hoppy machinistand building these engines have taught me lot about what I can and cannot dowith different materials and my machines.

Besides it is just fun to build them and see them run.

Richard

You may as well ask why some people collect stamps. they cant stick them on a letter, after all.

I think we all have, to some degree, a creative urge ( no I dont mean sex! ) and this is just one way of using it.
theres a great deal of satisfaction when something you have made is working.

my two pence.

Roy

Very strange question.--We do it for the same reason that some men climb mountains.----Because we can!!! Each working model is a test of our own ingenuity and creativity. The engines don't have to do anything. The mere fact that they run under their own power is a mastefull accomplishment in itself.

I find It a great sense oj joy and pride to take a peice of metel or wood and make what ever out of it . And then to see the faces of others as they look them over. To hear them say I could never do that is A great feeling ! Dale

+1 What Brian said.

For me, "Now that might just work" is an itch that just has to be scratched.

" it's cool, but can it be used for something useful ?"
Mostly no, but it looks good on the shelf and can be shown to friends and grandchildren who ask "What you been doing?"

Reminds me of a cartoon - Man says to his dog "Why are you howling at the moon you silly dog?" Dog says to man " Dont knock it till you've tried it!"
So if you want to understand, you have got to try it for yourself. (Make a model - not howl at the moon)

Ian

Hi,

I'm new here. I was browsing the forum and found amazing engines designs, my question is Why you build these engine ?, it's cool, but can it be used for something useful ?

thanks.

Hi,

It should be obvious, how else you find a load of metal, put it together and it comes alive. that's why I make engines.

Regards,

A.G

Hi,

thanks.

Hi dmaqtor

Start of project Can I ?
End of project I CAN !

Some of us build them as engines in their own right, but many of these engines can do something useful and often do albeit on a miniature scale.

I have a model turbo generator set (in my avatar pic) I could use it for emergency lighting if I want. I would spend more time tending the engine than reading a book by it though. Just like a full size power station.

Whatever the reason, I find building something that works from bits of metal is fascinating if somewhat addictive. Right I'm off to get a turbine "fix"

Regards Mark

Hi,

thanks.
Hi dmaqtor,

For me, there are 2 things about it.

First, it's a hobby, its fun to machine parts and assemble them to a machine that (hopefully) works. Just testing your skills, your machines, your design.

Second, just for me, building something that can be used is a bit more satisfying. I'm starting to build a garden railway with a friend and its twice the fun: building it and playing with it later.

But many in this forum have fun just building engines and showing them; I am a bit different from them. But anyway, we share the same technical problems, we exchange our experiences here. Its a great forum!

If You think You would have a better motivation to build an engine if it will be used later, why not build a steam locomotive. Or a steam engine for a small steam boat. Or an IC engine or turbine for a model aircraft.
Enough possibilities I think.

Mike

Brian, Yes the two are very closely related, you collect the tools and accessories to build your collection of engines or what ever you want to build to bring your collection up in size so when you die your spouse has to liquidate your collection.
I have been collecting engine casting sets and tooling for 40 years to the point that they could do a horders show about me. LOL
I feel that collecting and building go hand and hand.
Gordo;)

Hehe.... collecting... never enough room... never enough stuff!

Latest posts

Back