BEAM engine with Peaucelliar-Lipkin Linkage

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propclock

Engine builder, Blown V8 to wobbler, Love it all.
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well here goes the long story. I built a Stuart BEAM engine in ~1989. I learned about the "Watt's" parallel motion.
Studying this I found out about the Peaucelliar -Lipkin linkage that is "perfect" . I have always had it in the back of my mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaucellier–Lipkin_linkageSo with time on my hands I did a search and found that was a link to Brian Rupnow's beam engine that a modeler suggested
https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/mods-to-brian-rupnows-engine-model-plans.3693/Modifying his to this linkage. Well Don't know if he ever built one , but I have. I split the beam, flywheel in the center.
Frame instead of post. The Steam details are all clones without castings of the Stuart design. It is ball bearing crank,
eccentric, and beam. Delrin piston and packing glands. Made for air only. Super smooth. My pressure regulator gauge doesn't
even register when it is running. I am antiquated and use CAMBAM to make my Gcode so I have no fancy drawings.
But dxf if anyone is interested. I will make a vid at some point.

View attachment 116153

1589121521145.png

1589121623889.png

Very nice engine, beautiful finish! Looking forward to a video of it running!
& I would like to see the DXF files, maybe create the 3D model for fun.

John

My mind and shop are scattered . I did use cambam more than ever and have a file for
every part. I get to where I want to geterdone more than document.
But I documented all the key stuff. The cylinder base is part of the main frame,
probably not recommended. At first it was a .5" block and I cut it down a to a sorta
steam cylinder base. Just for scale the flywheel is 7" made from a SCUBA tank,
1" bore 2" stroke.
I will send you any file you want . The z depths are bizarre I should have used 2"
but I had a nice piece of 1.89" true stock . It was just an experiment that came to life.
To be honest I couldn't simulate the whole thing so I had short pivots on each side
and the real world model showed me the pins cold go from side to side with no interference. So remake all the pins full width. It is really rigid even without the base!
Some could be made as H assembly's. Not 2 links and a spacer in between.
A big picture dxf soon. 2d only.

Thanks for the video - very cool!

You may need to put the .dxf files into a .zip file (compressed folder) - not so much for size (unless the .dxf's are awfully large), but because only certain file extensions are allowed.

Here are the DXF files for what they are worth and = to what I am charging , If anyone is interested in making one.
I find it fascinating to watch. No guarantees on anything. I like CamBam as it gives me Gcode almost as fast as I can think of what I want. But not for the modern crowd.
Here is the big picture file. I have many component individual files.
Anyone want any details I am available. The only key details are the
link lengths. I can post if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• mikecombo+steam1.0AF.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 201

Latest posts

Back