Bazmak-Making the acute tool sharpening system

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just started my next project.I like the look of the acute system and with
information gleaned from Utube etc have sufficient info to make my version
However to play fair with Eccentric Engineering I have bought a set of drgs
for $35.Have made a start with the table as drgs have not yet arrived
Table calls for 150mm sq x 4mm m/s so I used 165mm sq x 5 thk S/S
4 brkts were fabbed from 25x3 angle and 3mm plt,Spacers 25dia alum
M6 allthread S/S screws and although I have ordered a few knobs and clamps
from China I also made 2 ms lever arm screws.Table works well.Now waiting for the drgs before deciding how far to go with the pantograph arm etc and what
changes if any to make.As usual flying by the seat of my pants

I am a total novice but I need to look at buying a suitable grinding wheel
On ebay I have seen a 150dia x 25mm wide diamond lapidary wheel
Would this be suitable for light dressing of hss and carbide end mills etc
What grit would be suitable ?.I need to to remove a wheel and guard from my bench grinder and check what size I can physically fit.Any advise would be appreciated Regards barry

Weekend is here so hopefully the drgs will arrive tomorrow.Meanwhile I have ordered a 150d x 25w lapidary wheel 240g from china and will also order a 150dia cup wheel say 180g and try to setup both sides of the grinder
I want to set up to simply sharpen drills single facet small sizes I have an er 32 collet set which I can try but I think will be too large so I have in mind to buy
an er16/20 collet set and make a square holder.I think this is a useful thread
for both old (very skilled engs) and young newbies.I think I am in the middle somewhere.Most of us are still learning so please input anything of interest
I liked your post and photo showing the cup wheel setup BARON anymore?

Very interested in this bazmak. I have a similar ryobi grinder but with the belt sander on the right hand side.

I have been toying with how to do do a better rest for the wheel side, even looking seriously at the setup described by Harold Hall in "Milling - A complete course" from the Workshop Practice Series #35.

What you are creating looks rather interesting and perhaps a little less involved than Harold's design.

Hi Baz,

I did a full build thread on another forum, unfortunately some of the pictures have gone AWAL. The cup wheel is a CBN, 100 mm one with a 20 mm bore and a 5 mm wide face 3 mm thick. It cost me about £10 from China. See <www.banggood.com> I'll see if I can find the PN later. Here it is.

*1 x 100mm Diamond Grinding Wheel Cup 180 Grit Cutter Grinder for Carbide Metal (966954) £9.06

Notice that it describes it as "Diamond" But it isn't. A Diamond one would be much more.

I used a motor from an old tumble dryer salvaged from the local scrapyard. From memory the dryer wasn't very old. I found out much later why I think that it had been scrapped. The drive shaft end had been sheared off.

Drawings not yet arrived .Dont know exactly where I'm going yet its all
in my head.I plan to make the pantograph arm and guide rail so will look at
a tool holder to fit the rail.Will try and fit my er32 collet block even though I feel it may be too large.The block is 40mm sq and the nut 50mm dia so I machined a piece of angle to a nice sliding fit for the block and raised 5mm to clear the nut.I then made a shaped end plate drilled and tapped ME
5.5mm x 40 tpi.Made and fitted a brass adjusting screw but this was too slack so added a m3 grub screw with a nylon plug to tension the screw Looks and works well.Next step is to make a swivel plate to fit the intended guide rail
and mount the holder.Will have to wait and see its all in my head

My copy of the drawings makes no provision for a collet chuck. The shown holder is from a block of 25mm MS Square.

So my thoughts( it's -1C here and freezing fog!), that I use either a Myford collet set or something with a 'Myford' set up.

Looking at 'Baron's' so called diamond disk, I have something similar but finer to hone tools after grinding. It came from Chronos and lives on the fabricated Stent.

I've been Grandchildren-y German Markets and Chinese lantern displays in Leeds but the holders for tools is either 25mm square or 25mm round.

So Barry might I mention this to remind myself as well to think about necessary alterations. I have a LOT of half inch lathe tooling and cutters of 1/2" mainly.

Hope that your drawings and my post to you finally arrive

Norman

Hi Norman,have you watched the various videos on the acute system on Utube
It shows an er16 collet holder for small dias,im hoping the er32 works for
some items if not I might buy a smaller collet set.The er16 is only $30
and its simple to make a dedicated square block.Nut is only $4.Next job is to make the guide rail

Hi Barry

When and if Santa Claus finally calls at your door, you should have the drawings for the Brooks tool and cutter grinder which John Moran has mentioned. Whilst the rest of the drawings are of interest etc, the tool holder is a direct crib of the Quorn holder .

Believe me, I have one on my Quorn but obviously the Quorn runs on round bar whereas you will see the Brooks has a flat base. The rest is direct Chaddock.--as you will see- fingers crossed!

Sadly, I am still 'tied up' with a house sale and really little time to enjoy the simple pleasures of U tubes and whatever.

Meantime, it's bl**** cold at -1C and the dogs are frozen to the lamp posts. Never eat yellow snow

Norm

Nice pictures Baz, Put a spring over the screw to give it some tension. Or try a nylon screw.
With care your ER32 Collet chuck should be OK. I had to cut the collet holder down and drill it out to take 10 mm diameter work.
Though I'm considering a sleeve to take 12 and 13 mm work.

I have described it many times before.I have used it to tension dial
rings on lathes and mills etc to replace the little springs that get lost
Using a knurled nut it can be used as a lock/release and easily adjusted
regards barry

A couple of hours and I have made the adjustable fence/guide
Then the drgs arrived,a nice ring binder with easy to read details and dims etc
Nothing untoward with what I have already made.Will proceed with my
ideas to try and fit the er32 collet block and slide assy.At a later stage I will
probably make the pantograph arm etc all as per drg.Just to see how it all works.My assembly can be easily replaced with the acute system and both used with the table.One item with the table shows heavy clamping washers fitted with O rings,may give it a try to see the difference between the clamping effect with the heavy brass washers I have fitted

I'm delighted to know that the drawings have finally arrived and note the progress already.

For my version of events, I am stuck with supply problems amongst other problems. It looks like being unable to bend the brackets for the stand as my sheet steel supply is 4mm and I might have to weld.

As Baz reports, it is straightforward construction.

For my side of things, despite the tremendous help from Baron, my posting of photos is still impossible.

Ah!!!!!!!! nut thanks to both

Norman

More successful progress .Made 2 swivel discs 60d x 9 thk each morticed
The lower one to fit the adjustable guide and the top one to accept the
tool block holder.Made and fitted a tenon to the tool holder with a pin
to locate in a slot in the upper disc.This gives a nom 8mm movement
for clearing the tool from the grinding wheel when rotating the collet block
Things seem to be working out now I need a grinding wheel to see what I can do .TBC Regards barry

While waiting for lots of items from china I decided to set up as best I
could in order to sort out any problems.Lots of snagging I think
I have a 75mm diamond cup wheel for which I made adaptors and fitted to the grinder.With the table and grinder setout on a timber bourd I played with heights and locations before trying my first test.An old 10mm dia drill with
badley worn /ground end.Totally useless. Achieved a semblance of setup
and after gashing the secondary angle by hand on my old grinder I proceeded
to sharpen .All worked well the drill point looks good and drills well.All angles were guestimated.Lots of niggles and minor design changes will be made when all
my parts arrive from china.Next step is to start grinding lots of small drills ,single facet with the setup as is.Will try and get better photos,will try an LED light for the closeups

Now that Santa Klaus has arrived;), you have access to the classic Quorn articles where Professor Chaddock does the 4 and 6 facet grinding. Unquestionably, he is an interesting read. There's a bit about grinding using ordinary wheels.

As far as the Acute system, I am still wondering how 'the little rounding ' of the end of a lathe tool can be done. For my part- open to criticism- is to use one of my little fine diamond wheels to do this( like your present set up with a 3" wheel)

As I write, I'm open to criticism or correction.

Regards

Norman

I have a 75mm diamond cup wheel for which I made adaptors and fitted to the grinder.With the table and grinder setout on a timber bourd I played with heights and locations before trying my first test.An old 10mm dia drill with
badley worn /ground end.Totally useless.

Some shops consider diamond wheel for HSS bad taste.

Back