BAZMAK a second Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Initially, might I thank both John and Barry for their help.
John, I'm aware that situation on the mill drill but would mention that the SR44 does NOT fit. One axis is working with a much thinner battery whilst the other unit is JAMMED as Frank Hoose also discovered in his write up to which describes my lathe.

Barry, I have really only had a short space of time to 'roughly' get the feel of the lathe. I have made some remarkable discoveries in my quest to get things like a 4 jaw independent chuck, a faceplate and a fitting for my set of ER25 collets. There are a lot of conversions to do as my lathes were/are Myford and No2MT rather than MT3.

Of course, I am aware that there might be differences between the 2007 lathe which I have and what is currently advertised but not available. Aye there's the rub! Axminster Tools sells the SiegC4 and my lathe is one- but with the DRO's.

Currently, I have no 100% reliable way of comparison- until I have pulled my chuck off and mike'd the parts.

What I haven't said is that the cost of an almost identical lathe is a tad off £2000 whilst I paid a modest £350. Again, I know that I put a bit of rusty round bar into the 3 jaw and took one of my QCTP holders with any old bit hss lathe tooling, set it to rub( a la Sparey) and got a mirror finish.

So the lathe has done precious little. It had made a few parts whilst the previous guys big Harrison was 'tied up' So it has been nowhere.

The fall back position is if my spindle and the present ones are different, I order a current spindle.

Again, if the worst comes to the worst, I sleeve the 3MT spindle to 2MT and fit a Myford conversion which brings ALL my esisting Myford goodies into use or availability.

I Think!

Cheers

Norman

Barry
It is now 7AM in 'Geordie' Time and the coffee is filtering through. I've just removed the top slide in preparation to do just that.
The discovery is that the tee nuts washers are still stuck with the original paint. The thing is nigh enough new

Might I reply about the chuck mounting - when I have woken up

But Thanks

Norm

Just put up post for the Sc4 with my new Aloris QCTP.I have added a few photos of my Sc4 and spindle mount which fortunately is the same as my new mini lathe.If you want any more photos please ask and i can now post direct as they are all in the computer and its much easier now thru HMEM than
photobucket. They are still sending me emails asking me to upgrade my subscription. ##### them i can buy a lot of goodies with $400

Barry

As far as I can see, the rough figures are

Bore 25MM

Register 73MM

Outside 100MM

The chuck is fixed by 3 bolts- and bloody hard to get at ones.

Everything is new, covered in oil, swarf and SOLID.

I have my Radar Fitters kit out which is a hammer and a c******!

Does this help, pl

N

I hope for your sake that the spindle register is 72mm
Should be 6 or 7 holes for m8 bolts.Should be a straight fit
for a chinese 4" chucks etc.4 fixings for 3 jaw and 4 fixings
for 4 jaw.The world is your oyster
You can make a screw on adaptor plate to fit the Myford and use the chinese gear
and/or make an sdaptor plate with a Myford nose to fit the C4. Bingo
As i said previosly the regiter is 55mm dia for 80mm chucks on Sc2
and 72mm dia for 100mm chucks. 95mm dia for 125mm chucks etc
You can buy or make a chuck to fit the lathe and an ER32 collet set
Start to lve a little Norm.Keep this thread going Regards barry

Thanks Barry
I guess that my measurement was a mm out and you are correct at 72mm
Again, there is 6 sets of bolt holes in the spindle flange so an alternative to buying Sieg fittings will not be needed-
I await for when when spares are traced! Humm.

This information which you have supplied is 'Gold Dust' and saves so much rattling of ancient skulls.

At 87, a widower now with an estate still finalise( after 2 years) I am a COPD suffrer and this little diversion is one to keep warm in the English winter.

So from your information, all that remains is strip the lathe down, reset it to my needs and somewhere in the melee, sort out the DRO's.

Obviously, I'll keep people posted.

Cheers

Norm

Post Script

I have a faceplate and the price of a new DRO at $220.

Stand back in amazement
N

Oh and I have a new DE Grinder. Hey big spender

I then polished down with various
grades of paper to less than half a thou with the mike and a final finish checking with my digital mike which reads to 3 places . Got the full length to
+/- 0.010mm

Thanks for that Baz. Any chance you took some pics along the way? I can hold micron accuracy over a small length but not over such a long bar. I'm interested in learning how it's done.

A little progress report! The DRO on the saddle feed screw has not a SR44 battery. Attempting to remove the old battery involved me removing jammed paper with my late wife's surgical dental and orthodontic tools. Fortunately, Axminster Tools who marketed the lathe has a spare unit ready to fit on and will supply batteries. Not bad at £45. It is simply waiting for the post which should bring a 4 jaw independent, steadies and a collet holder for my ER25 collets. I now have the faceplate.

Time to look at the Myfords again.

I discovered that I have three sets( not just holders) for the QCTP.

The 6" DE grinder looks promising to take the Eccentric Acute Tool and Cutter Grinder.

Things are improving

Regards

Norm

Cogsy,i will play about further to see if i can get more accuracy with
photos.As i understand it,there are 25 microns to 1 thou,therefore 1 tenth
thou is about 2.5 microns.I got the bar to +/- 10 microns or just less than half a thou,not difficult,but i will see how the bar measures now after a few nights in the shed.
Norm i will open a new thread just for you and your new lathe.Any questions can be posted and answered with photos etc and also anyone can chip in with tips etc and lots of photos

Just for you

TB 02.jpg[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• TB 01.jpg
    TB 01.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 330
I have not been in the shed for a while as the weather has been bad
and i dont have any current projects on the go.However today is nice and sunny
so i decided to do a little gardening and was drawn to tidying up the shed
For my recent 70th birthday my son in the UK sent me a hamper.Worldwide beers,nuts etc all hosed in a nice wooden tray.As i worked thru the beers
i wondered what i could use the tray for,it has a nice brass engraved plaque
on the front.I put it in the shed and today idally browsing/musing etc
i found the tray was a perfect fit in a recess between the mini lathe and mill
When i say a perfect 2mm smaller on the width,3mm high and perfect on the depth.All it needed was a lid and made an ideal collet drawer with bits of scrap
Fitted a tray and a couple of knurled brass thumbscrews from my stock
All in all a pleasaIMG_2293.jpgnt couple of hours

Happy belated birthday greetings--- young man.

Weather in the Newcastle -- upon Tyne variety is dis-buggerable and piss- instantly raining.

Little wonder that I have moved a lathe indoors where the central heating is chugging on. It's supposed to be summer.

Best Wishes

N

I'm waiting for my shed to be erected-- or is it an ark?

However, the Sieg has got a new 4 jaw independent chuck, a faceplate, a ER25 collet holder and the start( eventually) of a fitment to take Myford stuff as well.

Again, I've got the saddle DRO repaired and working.

Obviously the tee bolts and whatever for the subtable are 'on hold' until the shed is erected and re-furbished.

On another front, there is 'balls up' with the tax people and I have still to finalise my wife's estate despite it being almost 2 years now.

I'm not miserable or whatever, merely trying to see an end to a few things

Lots to come

Patience fleas, the night is long

from Cervantes in Don Quixote by Sancho Panza

I dont have a new project on the go yet so thought i would play about
with the MT3 test bar i made for the specific job i had in mind when
i made it,that is to improve the capstan alignment on the mini lathe
I had purchased a couple of cheap chinese dial indicators .I made a dedicated mounting brkt to suit the mini lathe QCTP. Fitted and checked the test bar
in the MT3 headstock in a no of positions.Over the full length the bar was
only 1 thou eccentric and showed the lathe carriage and headstock to be
miscaligned by 6 thou front to back and 3 thou vertical.As long i know i can live with it for now.To improve will mean shimming the headstock etc
Then used the test bar to align the 6 stations on the turret.Not perfect but
getting nearer.May now try to fit the boring head in the lathe and take a small
skim of the bores.Which will then mean refitting the station toolholders01 capstan alignment.jpg

02 capstan alignment.jpg

03 capstan alignment.jpg

04 capstan alignment.jpg

05 capstan alignment.jpg

Whilst pondering my next project and doing a tidy of the shed and
making a few bits and pieces to store/rearrange often used items,
whilst i still had the test bar setup i decided to check both lathes
I setup 2 dial indicators to front and top and got the following results
over the 10" length of the test bar
Sc3 concentric to ,half thou at HS and ,2 thou at TS ends
Carriage was parallel HS +/-3thou both top and bottom
Sc4 concentric to half thou at HS but 3 thou at TS (? unsupported but improved to 1 thou with tailstock centre engaged
Carriage was parallel to 1 thou both top and bottom
I dont plan to do anymore at the moment as long as i know.I dont think its too
bad for cheap chinese bench lathessc3 test bar.jpg

sc4 test bar.jpg

As most people know its difficult to adjust the dovetail gibbs on the mini lathe
Impossible with as bought units but there are many mods to improve this
However like many others i am never content with what i have and am
continually chasing the true.I was still not happy with my slides so
while i had the stripped down decided to further improve.Started with the compound made a new brass bibb strip and added 2 more adjusting screws
Photos tell the story,the difference is amazing.Will see how long it lasts
Will see what i can do next with the cross slide and carriage

01 comp slide .JPG

02 comp slide.jpg

03 comp slide.jpg

I suppose that the next 'improvement is on the points of the gib screws and the others are a lock and a pin to stop the gib wishing to attempt to leave the set up.

I have a vertical slide( ? ex-Perfecto) with those- and a Myford dial in that strange Chinese metal.

I was thinking that instead of the difficulty in construction for people like JCSteam, the existing gib can be asses to with glued shims. A bit like the Myford laminated ones!

Regards

Norm

Back