Bazmak-A Model Horizontal Shaper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So7lPueuQkY[/ame]
Thanks for the input Thomas I think what is happening is that when I
drag the video over it get mixed with the end of my text
I have seen it happen with images where the last word is at the other side of the image.This time I have inserted the video first and then input the text

Hi Gus,just read your second post.Personally I found it easy to make the ram from 3 pieces as described and bolted together.Cast iron would be ok.I would still make the dovetail plate as bolt on.The gears are not important I used 2
spare change gears from my old lathe.The mod is not important as long as they mesh.The bull gear needs to be nom 65 to 70 dia 65/67T and the drive gear 25/30T. Again I say read the thread for ref and all becomes clear
I decided on the gears at the beginning and then sized everything to suit
I would have preferred the gears to be wider BUT that's what I had
Do you have spare change gears on your lathe or buy a set of sieg change gears

Hi Gus,just read your second post.Personally I found it easy to make the ram from 3 pieces as described and bolted together.Cast iron would be ok.I would still make the dovetail plate as bolt on.The gears are not important I used 2
spare change gears from my old lathe.The mod is not important as long as they mesh.The bull gear needs to be nom 65 to 70 dia 65/67T and the drive gear 25/30T. Again I say read the thread for ref and all becomes clear
I decided on the gears at the beginning and then sized everything to suit
I would have preferred the gears to be wider BUT that's what I had
Do you have spare change gears on your lathe or buy a set of sieg change gears

Hi Barry.
From the KG Stock Gear Master Cataloque,I was able to confirm both gears are Module 1.0 and I have the M.I.C. Involute Gear Cutters. As per J.I.S. gear thickness is 10mm. 4 years ago bought the Cataloque from TokyuHands,Tokyo,Japan. Was then planning to cut metric gears and same Cat. would be useful. Wasn't cheap. Will be at least 3 months before going into making the shaper. Planning to put in an electric motor. Please advise 1/4 hp ???. Might make a pedestal locker and hide the bulky motot below.
Happen to have C.I. Bars on hand. Now to run around to scrounge for other materials.
Cutting the key ways will be fun.

Trust all is well Down Under. Take Care.

With time on my hands looking after my wife with a broken pelvis I have
just reread this full post.Has anyone started to make it??
How is Gus the happy fisherman I haven't seen any posts for a while
hope everything is OK. Regards barry

I read the hold post/thread and I loved it and would try and build if my self. Great work from both viewers and creaters (sorry I can't remember your names) and Baz mak I was looking for a handout I had from a teacher of mine on indexing to send to but I could find it, if I do it shore would be yours.

I must have missed it. Where did the plans come from and can you still get them?Thanks Ed

Plans were drawn up by Brian Rupnow and myself for free issue to anyone Not sure where they are but
Brian will guide you to them. I would appreciate a small donation to a charity and will assist if you start the build
Regards barry

Just read the entire post; very neat project!
Brian, any chance of getting your digital model? Any of the popular formats would be good.
Thanks, Ozzie

All 69 drawings are finished. I could not get the HMEM upload/download section to work for me, so I have put the files up on a free web hosting site, which you can download from.--Somebody please try this download site and let me know if it works for you and if you are able to access the drawings okay. They are all .pdf files, so you won't need any cad program to open them.-Brian Rupnow
http://www.mediafire.com/download/da00sk1cg0yxa4e/SHAPER_DRAWINGS-BAZMAC.zip
Brian
Very nice job with the drawings.
Thank you
Nelson

Let me know if you make a start as some drgs I posted I think were lost thru photobucket
I also made some design changes at a the end which I don't think were drawn up,but they can
be incorporated without too much problem.One was the slots to make the stroke positon adjustable and the other was the
worm drive to the vertical feed.I have photos and I was going to produce a build description which I never got around to do
If you make start then please start a thread and I will assist where I can.I can run mine in the lathe but like to add
a motor drive if possible with some sort of small motor,maybe housed in a box/stand but not too big and bulky
Regards barry

Barry
Thank you so very much. I saw the screw and gear to raise and lower the table, nice. I would be interested in the slot for the stroke setting.
That was one fine build, very nice.
Nelson

Brian I went to that site to down load shaper plans. Got a bad bug from site been all morning trying to clean computer. Can't get it clean. Be careful of that site. Ed

Ed
I am so sorry to hear that because I downloaded it before I wrote you.
I do not understand how people can be so destructive to people they have no knowledge of.
Good luck with your computer.
Nelson

Ozzie
At the bottom of my reply to Brian's quote has the link to the files. They are beautiful.
Good luck
Nelson
Thanks Nelson, but what I'm asking for is the 3D model that Brian made in order to make the drawings. We have seen the model in his posts, but I don't think he has posted a link to download the 3D model.

Brian I went to that site to down load shaper plans. Got a bad bug from site been all morning trying to clean computer. Can't get it clean. Be careful of that site. Ed
I have just read the post and saw your problem and tried to download it. I got it downloaded so you are still having problems and you want you can send your email to me and I'll forward it to you.

Did you get my email? Ed
Sorry but I just got it this morning but i have already send then, it's in zip format and I hope you can extract them and I would be intrinterested in that project you are doing

I agree that the design and the plans are terrific. Thanks to both Bazmak and Brian.

I have decided to make a design for those of us living in the inch world (i.e., in the U.S.). When I'm done I may build it.

I'm working in the Free edition of Onshape, which is an online (web-based) solid model CAD system. As long as you are willing to make your designs public, you can use the system for free. So far it looks like a pretty powerful system.

It seems that they are trying to hide the free edition somewhat. GOggle

Anyway, I'm just getting started -- I have the column weldment modeled, but that's all. I haven't put the holes in the side for any of the shafts yet, because the locations of the shafts depend on the specific gears that are used. And I haven't chosen them yet.

I'll try to make periodic updates.

Carl

Latest posts

Back