Bazmak-A Model Horizontal Shaper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This PM- unable to post.

Why?

N

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite running Norton was unable to post. 5 attempts to reply to Brian to Thank him.

Running further scans

N

More progress.The author calls for a 44t and a 16t gear.Multiply x 1.5 and we arrive at 66t and 24t.A 2.7 ratio.I rummaged thru my spare changegears
from my old lathe.I had a 65t that was physically close enough but the smallest
I had was 30t Will have to do A ratio of 2.1 but not important unless I fit a motor.I then built up the gear linkage/eccentric to suit what I had and my dims
No problems as yet.Waiting for the last issue of ME to finalise the feed etc
I plan to fit ball bearings to both gear shafts but for the present they fit in drilled holes

With the linkage set to max stroke,i shortened a couple of shafts,
lengthened a couple of slots.Skimmed a few parts and nudged a few parts
for clearance etc.Assembled and reassembled a no of times which trained me for the easiest way to assemble and believe me it was close in a few places
I fitted a chinese metal handwheel to the ram drive shaft and played about until it turned over nicely.This is when I found out that the max strokeinstead of being 65mm was 90mm.I set the linkage back to give a stroke of 60mm
and then milled some clearance to allow the clapper box to go back as far as possible and increased the stroke to 75/80mm which will be the max and cover the full width of the table.The ram stroke is adjustable for length but has no
adjustment for position.However all is well that ends well as the stroke is nicely located from one edge of the table to the other.Next I will fit some bushes /bearings and make brass locknuts to fix the gearshaft assy laterally in the correct position and tidy up a few other things.Will have to wait for the final issue of ME mag to finish the feed mechanism etc.May also start adding some bling and paint and polish etc a few areas. TBC

We have liftoff and separation.With a temporary handwheel and then hooked up to the lathe.Now for some fitting of slides and fine tuning.Then I need the final part of the ME mag to finish the autofeed etc

Bazmac--You have created a beautiful thing. I have been watching as this develops, and I am very impressed.---Brian Rupnow

I have made a vice for the shaper.To make one proportional to the table
would be too small and not much use so I made one as big as possible
60mm wide x 25mm high and opens to 40mm.Robust and accurate to be used as a small drill vice and possibly fix to my rotary table.Works and looks good
but will need a tidy up later

Very nice work ! I'm watching with great interest.

I only have one criticism, and that may be premature, I think that the lock nuts on the cross feed shaft spoil the overall appearance.

Thank you for your comments.The cross feed shaft assembly is temporary
until I finalise the autofeed.I will be making a new feed screw,i have already bushed one end and will probably retain with an E clip.The 8mm allthread will be replaced with a machined screw probably s/s. When the unit is finished and running I am hoping to take this model to exhibition standard Regards Barry

I drilled and tapped 2 no M3 holes in the front and fitted grubscrews
these push against the angle and allow a few thou of adjustment to the top tenon,the bottom tenon has a few thou of adjust for the lower brass tenon
on the clearance holes for the clamping screws
Cleaned up and adjusted for a good sliding fit. A little car body filler to produce the gusset fillets,a first coat of paint and it looks almost like a casting

I finished the vice by cleaning up all faces,making a handle for the screw,
fitting a brass llocating screw and making 4 T nuts before fitting to the table
I had to rework the vertical feed screw for ease of assembly before bolting the base to the body permanently A little car body filler to form a fillet and the first coat of paint to a few parts.I received the latest issue of ME but alas the last article has been postponed to the next issue so cannot as yet finish the autofeed,slowing me down but not finished as yet TBC

I realized that the vice was good enough to be used for real work,
not just for the model shaper.I made a mounting plate and fitted it
to my rotary table.Only time will tell

Well the 3rd part of the ME mag arrived but a bit of a disappointment
Still another part to finish the exercise.Lots of details but most have been made or are not applicable.Some details of the ratchet feed but no arrangement details and most of the dims can be ignored.I proceeded to make a start using the general principles and dims to suit what I have made
I decided to build up the existing M8 allthread feedscrew I have made and when all details are proved I can remake if requiredI turned down the left hand end,fitted 2 brass bushes and fitted a M6 nyloc nut.I turned down a piece of brass to form bush=spacer=spline=bearing assembly and drilled and tapped M8.This screws on to the feedscrew and is pinned in the corre ct position

Tell me more about Gus getting hacked. I got two strange emails from him with attachments I was supposed to click on, but they looked suspicious so I deleted them.---Brian

Hi Brian,

Its true I have been hacked. Over here so far so good. McAfee is doing cleanup regularly and no threat.

I receieved mails for urgent requests for money transfer thru Best Western.

I finished the rest of the autofeed including eccentric table,T nut bushes and linkage.Fitted and played about with the timeing to get a nice feed in the correct location.Now need sme minor adjustments and make a video,hopefully
making chips.The primary drive shaft needs reducing in length and a driv
pulley making but for now I am leaving as is with the handwheel connected
its very hand for turning over the unit.Now to think of a powehttp://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u664/bazmak47/feed%2006_zpsv5rmmi0i.jpgr unit

Hi Bazmak,

Beautiful Shaper and it shapes too. Dreaming of building one too. Please advice HxLxW and plan source.

Hi Gus,i made it basically to plans in model engineer but scaled up x 1.5
Some details are mine and simplified.I would like to make the plans available if there is enough interest,BUT,although all my working life as a draftsman I cannot use autocad.I would be prepared to put pencil to paper and scan up sketchs etc if someone would volunteer to convert to computer drgs,details etc and arrangements and make available to anyone.Any offers please post
We could make it a team build/draw ????

Latest posts

Back