Bazmak-A Model Horizontal Shaper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simply converting the existing plans from metric to imperial does not seem to really worthwhile as the original was constructed from whatever was available in both metric and imperial and simply modelled and dimensioned in metric. To make the exercise worthwhile maybe you could look at improving the design and maybe adding a small motor.Regards Barry

Yes, I understand. I'm not converting the dimensions from metric to imperial; I could do that with a pencil on the prints. I'm redesigning based on what's available (so far, rectangular sections, round stock, bar stock; plan to add gears, too).

Probably most improvements to the design would require a running model first, to see what the weaknesses are.

Thanks,

Carl

Yes, I understand. I'm not converting the dimensions from metric to imperial; I could do that with a pencil on the prints. I'm redesigning based on what's available (so far, rectangular sections, round stock, bar stock; plan to add gears, too).

Probably most improvements to the design would require a running model first, to see what the weaknesses are.

Thanks,

Carl
That's quite smart, build one use it and see its weaknesses as you said.

So what improvements and/or design changes do you recommend?
Carl

I did make a couple that are not detailed on the drws but photos have been posted
The main one was the worm and pinion for the vertical feedscrew
The second was the slotted pin for adjusting the stroke position,both work well.
I would have liked to add motor drive using a small compact motor
and also thought about a cutout and Perspex window to view the internal mechanics
The shaper works well and will cut mild steel,(with a little bounce) however it is just a working model
and not able to do useful work,so I have not considered making things things heavier and more rigid
It has been on a shelf gathering dust since I made it but may resurrect it if others decide to build one

Why is it not usefull while you say it works well? You mantioned making things heavier, is that required to make it usefull? It is a very interesting piece of machinery!

Just read the entire post. Great work on the shaper and the drawings. I would love to get a 3d Cad model of the shaper if possible. A Cad model would make it easier to substitute available materials.

I would like to reiterate that the shaper is some awesome work

It is interesting and works well as well as looking good.My comment about not doing useful work means that
it is inefficient in this modern world,with all the modern vertical mills etc I would certainly not choose it to make a part
when I have a lathe and/or mill.I did make a slotting head with the intension of cutiing internal keyways but was
not overly successful.In this modern world a full size shaper is not really efficient,hence almost redundant but they
are beautiful machines.Dont get me wrong my model shaperworks well and cuts most materials but I would not use for production work

Coming up through the shops I used shapers and planers a lot. Put a piece of steel in it, set the depth of cut and the rate of advance, start it up and go do something else while it takes care of itself. Take the cutting tool off put in a grinder and resurface the pads used in a hydroformer. Again set it up, start it up go do something else. How exactly is that inefficient?

Coming up through the shops I used shapers and planers a lot. Put a piece of steel in it, set the depth of cut and the rate of advance, start it up and go do something else while it takes care of itself. Take the cutting tool off put in a grinder and resurface the pads used in a hydroformer. Again set it up, start it up go do something else. How exactly is that inefficient?
Just àdding cut off switch and you wouldn't have to worry any more (effectiveness)

You just confirmed my statement if you have to use more than 1 machine at a time
Wonder how health and safety would view it in these more modern times

You just confirmed my statement if you have to use more than 1 machine at a time
Wonder how health and safety would view it in these more modern times
It would be useless in these times but there are still good things you could achieve from it that you can't on other machines. Its based on what you want/what you have (personal preference)

We are now getting in the realms of sillyness.My statement was that my model shaper although it works well
is NOT capable of USEFULL work.I also reiterate that a full size shaper although a beautiful machine is not
capable of efficient work compared to modern machines.End of discussion

I don't get the distinction you're trying to make here Baz. I agree the shaper isn't a really useful tool for industry any more, there's much faster methods available. But the internal spline shown above would be something most of us would struggle to produce at home, yet could be easily made with a shaper. So could this small shaper produce that internal spline? If it can, I would say it's a useful tool for the home shop, just maybe not very often.

If you read my thread towards the end I did try cutting an internal keyway with a new head and specially ground tool
It was not successful.However I realized that this type of work (ie internal splines and keyways) was very suitable to a shaper
The model would be very limited to size and with minimal rigidity and accuracy.Therefore my comment not good for useful work
I would love for someone to make this model and play about with improvements etc

Latest posts

Back