Bauplan 17.5cc OHC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a word, yes, don't know about the "fuel" but the oil does, they run a 20% oil mix on methanol

You are making speedy progress. Hope to see some smoke & noise videos soon.

I always wondered about carbs directly in the head like that (from a temperature / boiling fuel standpoint). I think Jung would not release the design if there were adverse affects. I also recall there other other methanol 4S engines like that, for example Webra T-series. I never ran one so can't say it was an issue. Good luck!

Hi All,
Well it is ALIVE, a lot of problems with pre ign, and throwing props, so I got it to go with a starter that will start almost anything(used for my boats), only a short run, went too lean with the mix, the weather is really crap here at the moment, started raining again just as it started. I will get some running on it and go from there, If it was to run on spark, it may start easier, had the same problem with a Saito 180, changed over to spark and now it is a great motor.
Cheers
Andrew

Fantastic! Congrats. Just curious because piston rings garner so much attention. Did you follow Jung's method or you have your own technique or possibly Trimble?

I have my own method, was shown how by a gentleman who at the time was in his 90's back in the 80's, he was an engine builder, had to make his own rings because he could not get them back in the war years. He had so much info in his head and loved to share, it was such a loss when he past away in 1996, he still had so much to give.
Cheers
Andrew

Hi All,
The final run of the engine, before it goes on the shelf. A bit of fine tuning and it is running a lot better. Mounted ready for the shelf.
If I decide to make more of his engines(I have 2 plans on the way) I may just make them spark ign and that will fix a lot of starting problems.
Thanks to all who followed and long and for the comments.
Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 130.jpg
    130.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 131.jpg
    131.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 132.jpg
    132.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 118
Its a runner! What is the make & venturi size is your carb? Was it pretty much wide open during the run?
I hope you build some of the other engines you have plans for because I selfishly want to see the ignition conversion vs glow. I have some Jung plans too but <sigh> still finishing my Ohrndorf radial. Which Jung engine are you leaning towards next?

petertha, The carb is off a 46 2 stroker, I picked up a heap cheap. Hole in carb is 9mm, and only running about 1/3 most of running, thou I did open up a couple of times. I have the plans for the "V" twin and the inline twin on the way, I ordered before I started on this one, with the lockdown(Covid) here, I had all the time in the days to make it. Looking at the twins I may be able to convert to OHC instead of OHV. Depends on being able to get belts to drive them. The gears are no problem, get wider ones and machine down.
To convert this one you would need to machine a different front housing to hold pickup(elect Ign), and the prop driver to take magnet.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back