Bandsaw blade problem

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old worn band saw blades make good knives and scrappers as well as shims for lathe tool height adjustment. The problem is that these uses only consume a very small portion of a very long blade and once you have a few old blades they are sufficient for multiple lifetimes. Flat springs sound interesting.

I have used my Chinese made band saw for many years, it has been great except in the beginning it used to break blades with great regularity, this was both tiresome and expensive. I grasped the nettle and bought a variable pitch bimetal blade which has solved all my problems. They may be a bit expensive initially, but it certainly cuts (no pun intended) out the frustration and poor cutting performance previously encountered.

Happy cutting

B

If making "hacksaw blades" from broken bandsaw blades that still have reasonable teeth, then mark out the length and where you want holes. The holes can be punched easily using a punch and hammer with a suitably sized nut under the blade allowing the punched divot to drop away from the blade. It may take a bit of practice and be sure to use a punch with a flat end and sharp edges. You may have a bench punch that will do the job easily.
When the holes are punched then cut to length.

Broken wider width blades can be used for bow saws and pruning saws.

Hi guys;

I noticed this thread a while back and two days ago received a flier from MSC in which a number of band saw blades are on sale. This includes bulk stock and pre welded bands. Look in all of their fliers as different brands show up in different fliers.

Of course check carefully against local options as MSC sale prices are sometimes rather high. I just thought this was timely for this thread.

Back