Ball Joint?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnak

Reaction score
Hi,

How do you actually make a ball and socket joint.:confused:

I would like to do this to make an adjustable taper device for my saw table as I already have a jig type device but it is only useful for shorter lengths of timber.

I plan to make a version that fits to the side fence with a length of metal attached at one end with a slide like hinge.
At the other with an adjustable length rod at the other end with a ball joint so it will swivel as the angle is increased by lengthening the rod thus increasing the taper.

Thanks for any advice.

Arnak

Ball joints are made as follows (short version):
1. The ball is manufactured with it's hole or optionally, with it's stud.
2. The ball is placed into the socket.
3. The socket is swaged in a press so that the ball cannot be removed from the socket.

So, your best option is to purchase the ball joint you need and attach it to your taper jig. McMaster-Carr has a great selection of them, as do a number of other suppliers.

Or just use a clevis and pin - a ball joint sounds a bit of overkill for that application to me.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.;)

Ah, I wondered how they made them, now I know.:D

The clevis pin, brilliant I should have thought of that.:rolleyes:

Now I can get on with that job...

Arnak

Depending on the size you require, you can go to an auto parts store and purchase a complete "constant velocity joint" which is what you need for a very reasonable price. All small 4 cylinder front wheel drive cars have one on each front axle, leading from the transmission out to the front wheel on each side.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the advice, I don't need one quite that large but if I do I'll keep that in mind.:)

Arnak

Back