Baffled, bewildered and confused.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary K

Reaction score
Can some one point me in the right direction? I’m new to HMEM. I’ve got a question regarding Gerry (Oldboatguy) Dykstra’s “A different beam engine” prints. Where should I post my questions?
Also, is there some where on this site that tells you how to use the site?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Gary K

Gary,
First, welcome!
Second, I'm afraid I can't help you with the specific navigation question. Where in CA are you? The reason I ask is there are a few hobby machinists that get together every month in the Sacramento/NorCal area (one drives up from Nipoma). I'm in Pleasanton--E. Bay.

Evan

Gary,
First, welcome!
Second, I'm afraid I can't help you with the specific navigation question. Where in CA are you? The reason I ask is there are a few hobby machinists that get together every month in the Sacramento/NorCal area (one drives up from Nipoma). I'm in Pleasanton--E. Bay.

Evan

Thanks Evan, I appreciate the response.
I’m in the Los Angeles area.
Being new to this site I was struggling a bit trying to figure about how to use it. I was hoping there would be a page on the site that would give me an overview of how it worked, but no problem, I’ll figure it out.
I did find some posts from some HMEM member here who seemed to be familiar with Gerry Dykstra’s set of plans for his Beam Engine. I have a set of his plans but they are over ten years old and perhaps not complete. I thought if I placed an inquiry in the right place on this site someone who was in the know may get back to me.
Again, thanks for your input and Happy Newyear!!

Gary K

Welcome to the forum Gary. There are a few 'getting started' threads in the HMEM Forum Support & Suggestions sub-forum, but for your specific question I would suggest posting in the 'General Engine Discussion' area LINK, with a descriptive title. Something like "Gerry Dykstras' beam engine question" might attract those in the know to notice your question.

Oh, thank you much! Appreciate the assistance!

Cheers,

Gary K

Gary,
Welcome to HMEM.
The best forum for your questions would be:
General Engine Discussion.

You will get the best results if you make the title as specific such as "Oldboatguys beam engine question" as this gets members attention who are familiar with what may be looking for.

Don't worry about use and formats on the forum. We are all pretty easy going. Just jump in. Unless a gross error is made nobody will say anything. About the only hard rules are no personal attacks ore hard profanity. We try to keep it family friendly and in general related to model engineering. All the moderators are here mostly to help and only act as police when absolutely necessary for gross infractions.

Gail in NM

Welcome Gary - you will find the plans in the download section - but you are going to have to page back quite deeply. Some of the earlier plans had a couple of missing parts - but this has since been fixed.
GailinNM posted a nice PDF - you will find at page 27 of the downloads.
You will also stumble over my metricated version of this engine (Gerry approves) in ACAD & PDF versions. To which I added a slip reversing gear and changed the valve linkage mechanism slightly.

It was my very first model engine build and got me started in this hobby.

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/gerrys-beam-engine-metric.10694/

You will find a number of build variants of Gerry's beam engine - all of which should help you.

Enter "gerrys beam engine" in the search box to unearth a ton of links (leave out the quotations).

I won the POM back in 2011 with this engine.

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/december-project-of-the-month.15893/

Send me a PM for further help if you like.

Regards, Ken

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back