Bad (expensive) day for cutters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rklopp

Reaction score
I broke two 1/16" endmills today, and then I broke my favorite threadmill. The endmills broke because of dumb CNC moves. The first one snapped because I forgot to slow down on an outside corner, such that the cutting speed on the outside of the curve ran too high. The next one snapped because I started a rapid move before I was out of the cut. I broke the threadmill by bumping it with another tool while picking it off the shelf. There went about $90. Ouch. With CNC you can not only make parts faster, you can break cutters faster.

:big: Not to laught at your mishap but I know where your coming from when you say you can break cutters faster with cnc.

It could be worse.

I can remember in my hobby shop, hand cranking a $6 brazed turning bit up to a stationary
piece of stock too quickly, chipping it. That was BAD!

I also remember programing a special left hand tapping sequence on a large hole at work.
It probably would have worked better if I had programed the spindle for a clockwise rotation.

It didn't really cost me anything out of pocket, but it HURT!

Rick

RK stuff happens .
The more work you do in the shop the more chance of an occasional mishap. And while CNC increases productivity mishaps can happen at the push of a button or one missed keystroke or a added or misplaced decimal.
I ran a CNC lathe for about a year for work and crashed a tool or two. I also had a boring bar break mid cut for no apparent reason. I guess i misjudged how sharp it was and pushed its limits it blew out the safety glass on the machine cover and got the attention of everyone the shop including the owner. The machine is only as smart as the guy that inputs the data whether hand cranks or cnc.
I guess I have more than a healthy amount of respect for cnc . I have two machines retro fitted at home.I need to get making chips an learn the programming but guess I am a little afraid I will crash something.
Tin

I have broken all of my 1/16" endmills and need to order some more, mainly for the same reasons. My sympathies. I tend to order the cheaper carbides from Enco as I figure I'll break them eventually. I also get the double-enders. ::)

To Err is Human..... To really screw up requires a computer. ;D

Latest posts

Back