Backyard Casting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachinableWax

Reaction score
I attend an annual car meet. Last year was our first attempt at making some commemorative coins for people to take home. We did coins again this year, but I also threw in a couple random items to cast too. They were 3D printed in a wax filament, then investment cast in brass. This was our second time casting ever, so still much to improve, but still a very cool and rewarding experience.

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_1045[1].jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

I like those, ive thought about casting, even know someone who would probably 3D print me some bits for me at not cost. Though because of the temperatures involved, I'm very cautious about casting, what set up did you use?? Any photos??:)

I don't think I have any detailed pics of his forge or kiln. He bought a used evenheat kiln from a local high school that was upgrading their equipment. I had purchased some stainless steel casting flasks as well as a couple bread pans to hold the ultravest I got from Gesswein. We welded up a two person tong/clamp from scrap metal he had to hold the crucible for the pour. The forge was just some firebrick and a propane burner he made from pipe fittings. Not terribly efficient, but it did the job.

Nice result. I keep thinking I'll have a go at investment casting - I've not fired up the furnace for ages.

Was the wax 'string' hard to get hold of for the printer? There are printers at work, but I've no experience of CAD so maybe I'd be better sticking with wooden patterns. I enjoy wood more than sat in front of a computer!

cheers
Mark, Manchester UK

If you have no experience with CAD, YouTube can be very helpful. There are some good free CAD programs available too. And if you don't have an interest in learning to make your own designs, there are TONS of .stl's available on sites like thingiverse.

The wax filament is something we make in Traverse City, Michigan. Easy to get a hold of, but for someone like yourself outside the US, the shipping can be as much or more than the filament itself. As soon as customs gets involved, the price inflates, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back