Back at it. Lost pla cast iron ceramic shell

Discussion in 'Home Foundry & Casting Projects' started by aonemarine, Mar 18, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Mar 18, 2019 #1

aonemarine

aonemarine

aonemarine

2. Mar 27, 2019 #2

Shopgeezer

Shopgeezer

Shopgeezer

Retired
    So what temp did you use to burn out the PLA? I want to do this as well for aluminum casting. I have read that PLA leaves ash residue. Did you burn out the mold with the sprue up or down?

Don

3. Mar 27, 2019 #3

aonemarine

aonemarine

aonemarine

Pla leaves no ash behind. I burn out with the sprue down. The burn out is to calcify the investment and the top end of the burn out temperature is 900c and held for 1 hour following the manufacturers instructions.

4. Apr 26, 2019 #4

Willyb

Willyb

Willyb

Great job with the castings. Very interested in this method of Casting instead of using Sand Molds. Would be interested in hearing your procedure to get such good castings. I would call these Castings perfect.
    Questions
    What are you using for the Slurry coat and how many coats did you use? Did you add sand after each coat?
    I would like to try lost PLA Casting with aluminum. Hope you don't mined the questions.

Cheers
    Willy

5. Apr 29, 2019 #5

aonemarine

aonemarine

aonemarine

That was suspend a slurry fs by ransome and randloph. Yes sand after every coat and i put a total of 9 layers on it. You can get away with less if your using wax.
    If your going to be casting aluminum then you might want to look into the investment block method and use vacuum assist. But if the part is too large for that then use the shell.