BA thread form

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it the matter of personal preference and having a drawer FULL of assorted taps and dies collected over the years------AND the wherewithal AND the ability to sharpen them?

Years ago, I built a Quorn. The stones are held in arbours which are held on to a high speed spindle- of exactly ONE inch but everything is held on with 1/4 BSF AND 2BA.
Why change-- and negate ALL this work?

But I went to a show at Doncaster and a firm was flogging Myford Tee nuts for less than I could make them and I bought a heap- plus a baby rotary table(. digressing). There was something wrong, the 1/4 BSF studding wouldn't fit. It turned out for them to be tapped M6.

Somehow, I have a very cockeyed 'modern' Myford Super 7-- which cost the earth-- and is in Imperial Measurement but is probably held together with Metric fasteners.

Answer therefore is :-

As experience widens- and mine has been playing with mechanical things for perhaps 87 years now- who bloody cares?
For information, REAL locomotives were held together- with the nuts and bolts which were the ones which someone had obtained.
But, but the British Lords of the Admiralty in their infinitive wisdom made nut heads so big that the brawny sailor boys- couldn't twist the heads off.
Come WW2- to save on metal- the heads of bolts--were reduced in size.

Laughingly, I was about all these changes- like car engines with holding down studds with one end BSF and the other UNF. And thev darling Japanese not only copied all this- but drilled the cylinder heads-- to match the pre-War 'British A Series heads and blocks.
Err, next question?????

Where did “whitworth” fit into all of this?

As a boy I was taught that one egg is Un oeuff (enough), but two eggs are more than one deux oeuffs (deserves).
Sur la pont d'Avignon... et vive la differences!
As a boy I was taught that one egg is Un oeuff (enough), but two eggs are more than one deux oeuffs (deserves).
Sur la pont d'Avignon... et vive la differences!

When I was a boy, my Dutch parents taught me the opposite: “één ei is geen ei,” which means, one egg is no eggs.

Do you mean 'Sir Joseph Whitworth'? First Baron-et? with a book by Norman Atkinson?

Regards

Norman Atkinson;)

I meant the bolts that I found on my 1961 TR-3A, which couldn’t be found at the hardware store, because they were said to be “Whitworth” threads. 😄. And there was talk of separate “Whitworth wrenches.”

I meant the bolts that I found on my 1961 TR-3A, which couldn’t be found at the hardware store, because they were said to be “Whitworth” threads. 😄. And there was talk of separate “Whitworth wrenches.”
My early training taught me to be cautious and I note that you had or have a technical writer in the immediate family:)

Earlier I gave refrence to one of the most important contributors to the World of Engineering and can merely conclude from my own researches that ALL machine threads are the brain child of Joseph Whitworth. You have the foundations of his history which will be far more educative than the tittle tattle gleaned from the village store.;)

The other Norman Atkinson

Hi Paul,

Where did “Whitworth” fit into all of this?

Sir Joseph Whitworth was the person that standardised the threads by determining that the best angle for them was 55 degrees.

Upto that point in time just about everybody used whatever angle and diameter they felt was right for the job. Basically nothing fitted anyone else's threads.

Part of the drive for standardisation was the military. Gun parts were not interchangeable, and because each part had to be hand fitted, if something got broken or damaged in the field, it had to be discarded.

And so started the drive towards unification and standardisation.

Hi All
Where I used to work,which was a large engineering company(now gone) as an apprentice everything was BSW OR BSF.
Then when working on the shop floor the company decided our main market was America all change to UNC OR UNF.
Then came the Common Market all change again to METRIC.
But only newly drawn designed machines were drawn to the latest standard.
Both the tool store and the main store had to be expanded to take the extra bits and spare parts were always a problem.
That is without the confusion on the shop floor ( especially the old timers who never could get into metric)
Graham

Latest posts

Back