Aveling Road Roller.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'Day All,
Well, after a couple of years doing other things, the engine for the Aveling roller is finally finished & now the building of the rest of the roller is underway. The first problem here is that the materials for the chassis (25 x 16 channel, 10 x 10 angle as examples) are not available here in Oz., that I can find, so, these will need to be machined from solid bar stock.

The image below, is of the carburettor as it was made from a number of pieces & then silver brazed together & completed.

DSCF4503.jpgDSCN0402.jpg

The big end bearing, after final machining & then after hand scraping to fit the crank pin.

DSCF4552.jpgDSCF4573.jpg.

All of the engine components, manually machined, on completion.
DSCF4610.jpg.

Cam & ignition timing.

DSCF4619.jpg.

The completed engine.

DSCF4624.jpgDSCF4629.jpgDSCF4630.jpg

After a few teething problems due to the incorrect material for the fixed ignition point (stainless steel) & replacing it with a tungsten carbide/brass point, the engine runs quite well, better than expected really & being a low compression engine, it revs considerably faster than I thought it would have been capable of achieving.

As soon as I can work out how to up load a video of the engine running I will do so.
Regards,
Don.

That is looking very nice.

I needed so 1" x 1/2" channel a couple of months so got hold of some 13x13x3 angle and welded two pieces together, if you do it in short stages and alternate inside and outside it comes out quite straight, hardest bit is grinding down the internal weld particularly as I'm not the worlds best welder bar far.

20170331_165657_zps09secgg8.jpg

20170331_170112_zpsrxsrv5ki.jpg

DSC01851_zps7rqztwfy.jpg

DSC01845_zpsvm6xlk7u.jpg

Looks great - especially like the bit that looks like a 44 gallon drum. Was that machined from solid or formed?

For the video, easiest way is upload it to YouTube, then copy the YouTube address and paste it into a post. If you use the address with 'youtube' being one word (not youtu.be) it should show the video in your thread.

G'Day All,
Thanks to everyone for the kind replies for this engine.
I have logged approx 270hrs to get the engine to the running stage.

Jason; the channel iron that has been made for the chassis started as 25 x 25 x 400 hot rolled mild steel, was pickled & then milled to 25 x 16 & then the centre milled out to resemble channel. It does not have a radius at the bottom of the flanges but should look OK when all parts are assembled.

DSCF4661.jpg

The pivot head for the front roller took a while to fabricate to try & make it look like a casting. The bearing housing was turned to a tapered outer surface, side plates cut & formed to fit the taper of the housing, with the attached block for the steering box & the Aveling insignia plate starting as a tapered bored piece of round MS & the cut & filed to again fit the taper. The bearing housing, side & top plates were silver brazed together while being held in a jig. The steering box & insignia plates were held in position with M2 screws & then silver brazed. Looks fairly ugly at this point.

DSCF4647.jpg

After a coat of primer it looks OK.

DSCF4650.jpg

Cogsy; The Aluminium intake cover was turned from a piece of Ø40 bar.

Attached is the link for the video, hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/zbHb9574rss

Regards,
Don.

Last edited:
G'Day All,
It has been a long time coming but, the model Aveling roller is almost finished. Only the final painting of the canopy & the canopy frame & all components are complete & painted. This project was started in January 2013, with a set of drawings made to convert the copy of the original imperial dimensioning to metric dimensioning. There has not been any castings used, all assemblies like the crankcase, carburettor etc, have be machined from solid stock & fabricated to a single assembly as required.
With the exception of the nuts & bolts, no commercial parts have been used.
It has been put on the back burner numerous times over the last 10 years, for other projects. Final assembly will start next week.
An image of the 477 individual components shown below. Missing from the photo are the piston, conrod & sump oil pan. They are in the crankcase. Canopy not shown as I could not fit it into the image.
The video is the roller's first run under its own power.
Regards,
Don.

IMG_1665 (1).jpeg

Fast, isn't it? Not like I remember the speed of a full-sized A-P roller? But that is "scale" for you... I guess the piston speed is right but the stroke much shorter, hence it all runs faster...
An excellent model!
K2

Latest posts

Back