AutoCAD files

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyboy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to share AutoCAD2002.dwg files. How do I convert them to something that everyone can use, such as pdf. I tried 'save as' and 'export.bmp' but no success, when it comes to adobe reader. What I have done is to 'Screen shot' as described here, then edit the picture with 'paint" and re-save as .bmp or .jpg

OR, I can print the drawing, scan it which then saves as a pdf, still takes two steps. How do you-all do it? Is there an easy, cheap, or free fix?

Thanks in advance. DB

You may need a graphics program that will handle both file types such as correl draw IIRC that you can import a DFX then save as a PDF. A full version of adobe acrobat may do the same thing.There may be some freeware utilities that can help.

Tin

If Autocad 2002 doesn't have a make PDf function you're out of luck within the program itself. There are several methods. The first I'd try is download one of the many free PDF printer drivers. If you sheets are normal 8.5x11 this will surely work. Some simply can't handle sheets larger than letter size, but some will. I haven't had to do this in quite a while as most recent cad software has this functionality built in.

Maybe, Acrobat distiller.

This comes up as a printer so when you go to print your ???.??? you use distiller as the printer and it saves a pdf.

Hope this helps. ???

Best Regards
Bob

I'd recommend dieselpilot's solution: install a PDF printer driver, and "print" to it.

I got the one I use as part of the installation of FrameMaker, but he claims there are free ones available....

Google the title 'CutePDF'. I use it to make pdf files. It behaves like a physical printer that you can send a print job to. You may have to make it your default printer for some programs to use it. Quick simple FREE download.

Freeware is good to share,
Kermit ;)

Thanks to all for the replies. I'll look up some of the links and try something later this week. Probably download late at nite so's the phone line isn't tied up during social times. Will post later on with results.

DB

Back