• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Australian source for gauge plate

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidP

Reaction score
G'day all,

I would like to find a source for small quantities of gauge plate in Australia. Tried Blackwoods and they tell me they no longer deal in metal. Also tried the local (Canberra) suppliers of stuff and they have not been able to help. Can anyone point me at a reasonable source?

having said that, what i am trying to achieve is to build a small scale version of the drill sharpening chuck that appeared in MEW early this year. The idea would be to scale a version to fit directly into the Quorn. Not even really sure if this is a good idea, but the design calls out 3mm gauge plate for the chuck jaws, so advice on a suitable and available substitute that doesn't require a surface grinder would be appreciated. (also any helpful suggestions as to things I might not have thought of, but that is probably another thread!

hope you had a good cup afternoon - even if a foreigner won.

David

Hi David,

I'm only aware of Herzog in Canberra that will cut sheet to size. You are stuck with the standard guages though.

Let us know how you go.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

Herzog do construction steels only, great source of that stuff because they have pretty helpful staff and keep a shorts bin at the end of each aisle.

Stuff I am after if the plate version of silver steel - can get round stuff locally from M&G (also brass, bronze, HEDP, key steel etc in 300mm lengths) but they don't deal in plate.

David

Well done,

3*50*500 can be done for around $50 delivered to Canberra. 'Interesting builds' has to be pretty high on the value scale to justify that, but suspect it will keep me off the streets for at least as long as the equivalent price for a meal out.

Dave

Back