• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Australia: Slideway Oil

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

///

Simon
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just purchased some Castrol Magna BDX 68 machine tool slideway oil to try. It was the only oil I could get without spending squillions on a huge drum or IBC(!!)

I have a 5L can which would be a lifetime supply for me, so, if anyone in Australia would like to try some of this oil, let me know.
I am not interested in profiting from this, I'll split pro rata, therefore:
1000mL would be $12.60
500mL would be $6.30
250mL would be $3.15

Plus packaging cost which is unknown at this time... I'm trying to find some tough little plastic oil/jerry cans at a realistic price in small quantities, will try harder if there is any interest.

Plus postage which, as often happens, is the joy killer and costs more than the item!
Auspost satchels:
1000mL and 500mL:
$13.40 standard
$14.80 express

250mL:
$8.25 standard
$10.55 express

PDF datasheet for this oil is attached.

I have found a few posts on the interwebs where people have had positive results with this oil, namely smoother and lighter saddle, cross and compound/top slide movements, perfect, just what I'm looking for.

I would rather have tried Castrol Magna GC 32 which is more suitable for our smaller machines, but I just couldn't find it locally.

Anyway, if you're interested in giving this stuff a go, let me know.

CastrolMagnaBD68.jpg

View attachment CastrolBDX68.pdf

View attachment Magna BD68.pdf

Last edited:
I am keen to give it a crack mate.

1L would be good;

Can drop around and pick up over the weekend if that would be ok

Last edited:
I am keen to give it a crack mate.
Me too! haha
Purchased but still waiting on delivery, so this weekend is a no go.
Pick-up is fine. Will update when it gets here, should be Monday as it was next day delivery and I ordered on Thursday!

Last edited:
If you can wait til I pick up the Delrin (looking like not next week but the one after) then I'd like a litre as well please. As far as a container goes, a coke bottle would do me just fine.

Just give us a yell when you are ready Simon.

Cogsy you are close to my joint from memory Might be able to hook something up and both visit Simon for a coffe, Pfft! I mean beer

Good stuff. Two down, two to go.

I think Coke bottles are PET plastic?
If so, looks like it's fine for the oil:

CR Chart.jpg

CR Legend.JPG

I hate it when new toys get delivered first thing in the morning, a work day is too long to wait to play!

The oil has arrived though it's not in the pretty can pictured above. A real shame as I thought that would have looked rather nice sitting on a shelf :(
One bonus though with the bland white plastic bottle, it is labeled as HDPE which was looking a bit dodgy in the chart above.
This means that pretty much any container you choose will likely be suitable.

I can't wait to give this stuff a try tonight.
If I don't notice much difference over what I'm using now (just 3 in 1 and Moly grease) I'll let you guys know so you have the option of dropping out if you wish, not that you don't have that option already.

Will update tonight.

Last edited:
Well, it's a tough call on the saddle but I swear the cross slide feels better. Haven't done the topslide yet.
The 3-in-one I was using before isn't really a lube, it was only there to keep rust away until I got something better, plus the lathe is only a couple of weeks old and the crappy chinese gib strips are yet to bed-in, but I do feel the cross slide has improved.
Is it better than engine oil or something, no idea, smells like engine oil but then so does hydraulic oil.

Where this stuff is claimed to be good is with coolant/cutting fluids, it won't emulsify meaning the lube and cutting fluids can be separated. Will be a while before I can test this.

Latest posts

Back