Australia and New Zealand team build anyone?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To make the inlet and exhaust guides more interchangable it would simply mean having to make shim washer to go underneath.
With a pitch of 1.5mm and the fact that these don't need to line up in any perfect position.
You could get away with making some washers out of some copper shim of about 0.25mm.
Just an idea. :hDe:

Hi there Dave, the harbour is looking great as usual, I just wish I could afford to get out on it more often.
cheers
Graham

I'm starting to feel like I'm holding up everyone else on this build. Should I just send the flywheels out now? The fuel tank support columns take quite a few different setups to machine, so they take a while. Currently done 3, and nearly finished the 4th, but after I've done that one, I've still got 10 to go. Got several other projects going, as well as my HSC work for 3 of my subjects so please bear with me. After all, slow and steady wins the race. Rushing things gives poor results.

Hi Kaleb. I for one would be happy for you to send out what you have completed and continue as time permits. Your HSC quite rightly takes priority and as you say " rushing gives poor results".

Just wondering if anyone else has completed their patrts?

Hi Herbie

All machined up except for valve spring retainers, which
are very fiddly to say the least.
Hopefully get them done in a couple of weeks.

Getting there slowly!

Dave.

No worries Dave. Just wondering what stage everyone was up to.

Hey guys - whatever happened with this build? Did anyone end up with a running engine or have you all abandoned the idea?

Still going Cogsy. All my bits are done. I'm sure the rest ain't far behind.

If anyone needs a hand, just sing out. I still have some spare time.

Jim

Hi all,

I have been working in NZ for the last few months, so have not
progressed at all, perhaps I could take up Aussie Jim's kind offer
of helping with the valve spring retainers.
Otherwise ready for seating valves and pre assembly, oh, and
thread sparkplug holes, just need to verify the thread used by
sparkplug maker.

Dave

Help! It's all in French!!! That's if I am looking at the right drawings.

What sheet are the valve spring retainers on? And what are they called?

And I need to make 6 sets (or is that 7) right?

Jim

Hi Jim,
I will send you a drawing in the next day or so, (In Engleeesh)!

7 sets I think from memory.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I think I have identified it but the hidden lines on the drawing worry me a bit in case there is something I am missing.

Are they brass or steel?

And please send a PM with the address to which I should send them.

I am looking forward to being useful.

Jim

Hi Dave,

I think I have made one collet. Think? It is so bloody small that I am not sure. I vacuumed the lathe first so I could find it when I parted it off and I think the bit I picked up is the collet but I won't know until I find a way to hold it to remove the flashes.

So far I have broken all of my 1mm drills but now I have made a sensitive drilling attachment (you wouldn't do it while you still had drills, would you?). Now I have some more drills and can have another go.

Please send the drawings when you can just in case I am making the wrong bit or the right bit the wrong size. And the address for sending them too.

Cheers

Jim

Aaahh, so its not just me then Jim!
I have made a small change to make them a bit easier make.
I have a drawing nearly complete and some samples to
send to you.
Will send a PM later today.
Dave.

Dave, got the PM and have responded.

Do you think the collets would be ok if I just milled the slot? The only difference would be lack of radius at the bottom.
But I could then mill the slot for all the collets at once and then shape and part them in the lathe.
It's just a thought and I don't want to spoil the job just be being lazy.
Let me know (or maybe I should just wait for the drawings)

Jim

Thanks Dave, I got the drawing and the sample (beautifully made sample) and will start on them tomorrow or Thursday.

Jim

Jim,
Regarding your previous comment on the bottom of the slot, it is
my opinion that it needs to be radiused to match valve stem otherwise
there might not be enough load bearing surface to minimize wear.
I will leave that up to you!:)
The assembly I sent is the previous design, but valve and retainer
dimensions remain the same.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back