Australia and New Zealand team build anyone?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just some quick CAD. :)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Okay, it seems the engine to build has been decided then. Now, what parts do each of you want to make? Tel has already put his hand up for the gears, and I'm thinking of doing the flywheels, fuel tank support columns and possibly the cylinders and pistons.

I've attached them to a post on the previous page.

Kaleb looks like time to get things organised. You have a plan set .
you need a team . you have one I think but the names should be listed.
TB 1 had 10 folks we did 12 engines. that seemed like a good number.
IMHO have 2 people do 6 each cylinder and piston sets maybe throw the crank in there as well. divide the work into 10 sets of parts or however many team members you get. then let people pick the part sets. try to make the division somewhat equal and fair. clear organization and clear communication will go a long way to insuring success of the project. Post all information the build in clear concise manner . For obvious reasons keep personal information private via e-mail and PMs.
so you need a list of the team and a list of parts breakdown and then a list of part assignments.
Tin

I could probably do the crank and the cam and of course some other parts, CNC would get those perfect. There are no diameter measurements on the crank.

I have a 13x36 lathe and RF 25 mill. Having never done any "serious" machining I would be happy with the simpler parts if thats ok.

At this stage I won't put my hand up to build any of the parts, but if more detailed plans or any modifications to customise for the build are required then I would like to help.
This way everyone can also have an input into the look, material selection style for the build and then see exactly what the end result should be like.
Also if people needed to be able to make parts in imperial I could convert the parts perfectly for them.

I'll stick my hand up for the cyl head and valve gear, if that works for the group, but I'm
flexible on this.
Materials list would be useful too, or do we as a group
decide what materials to use.
Is there any written detail on this engine available anywhere?

Dave

A little update - I can do the gears in 38/19 x 40 dp easily enough after all. And now I've got my personal stack out of the way I might do a couple of trial pairs while everything is still set up.

So, here are my suggested part assignments for each of us:

Tel- Gears and maybe carbies
warranator- Crankshafts, cams, conrods, cylinder, crankshaft, and timing gear supports, maybe the brackets for the fuel tank
hi speed scrap- Cylinder heads and valve gear components
Herbiev- Bases, bearing bushes and pushrod supports
Myself- Flywheels, fuel tank support columns, maybe the cylinders and pistons

As far as materials go, I would suggest making components requiring a lot of milling to be made from aluminium, cast iron for the cylinders and piston rings and steel or brass for the flywheels and gears, but I'm open to suggestions.

Yeah, I should be OK for the carbies, once I get my head around 'em.

So, we are looking at 6 engines total, or more?

No worries. I'm on to it. No "honey do's "this weekend.
Unless she bribes me. ;)

As I read the plans, they call for a spark plug with an M5 thread? Anyone addressed this yet. Easy enough to do in M6 but M5 is getting way down there!

Also, the timing gear supports - I'll need to establish the correct centre to centre distance (by making and trying some gears) before they can go too far forward.

Could we possibly re-design to use an M6 or 1/4x32 plug? Also, what does everyone think of my recommendations for materials? 6 engines sounds about right to me. So, do we need to work out anything else before we can start making our parts?

I think either would work in OK. I'd be good for doing plugs in either M6 or 1/4 x 40 tpi as I don't have any 1/4 x 32 gear. Can I suggest that the M6 might be the better option.

Latest posts

Back