Australia and New Zealand team build anyone?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaleb

Reaction score
I've just been thinking that a team build by members from Australia and New Zealand would be a good idea since the cost posting stuff to and from America or Europe is pretty much prohibitive. As far as an engine to build, I'm open to suggestions. I am able to provide lathe work up to 9" or 225mm OD, some basic milling operations on smaller parts, and fabrication work.

Not a bad idea, lets nurse it along and see what develops,
perhaps even a design and build project might be worth
considering.
I have a leaning to inline twin I/C's, but will go with the
flow on this within my capabilities.

Dave. Melb (East Is)

Team builds are doable but not an easy thing.
some of the ones attempted were successive some not.
Keep it simple for success
Tin .

Count me in. I suggest a jet turbine as I'm told they look difficult but are in fact relatively simple to construct. Also the parts are light weight keeping postage rates down.

Yeah guys count me in. I like the idea of an ic inline. CNC machinery is what I have to offer. I was part of the radial team build and it was quite successful but a little expensive posting all over the world so would be great to get involved with something local.

Herbie, I like your idea!:cool:
and I have a box full of compressor wheels!!

But as tin suggests, perhaps we should keep it simple.

But I also loved my Taplin Twin, sadly lost several years ago.

Dave

I do think keeping it simple is a good idea, but having a team member with CNC machinery opens up all sorts of possibilities. About the jet turbine idea, it doesn't really sound like my thing to be honest. The idea of an IC engine does get me going more, but it sounds complex if done as a multi cylinder 4-stroke. A single cylinder IC sounds more feasible to me though.

Hi All, it appears we are a team of four, at the moment.
Shall we proceed with a project?, others may join as we proceed I guess.

Dave.

Well, with a team together, it's time to decide what to build. I like the idea of an IC engine, which seems to be okay with the rest of the team. I think a single would be a better idea to keep things fairly simple.

Count me in for an IC engine. Does anyone have a set of plans?

As far as plans go, I would suggest maybe the Kerzel hit and miss, or a barstock version of the Westbury Whippet. I have plans for both of these.

I can probably come on board for the gears as I will be doing a good bit of that for the next while. What are we looking at - one per member and one to auction for charity?

My vote would be for the Whippet - I've done a Kerzel.

Last edited:
Actually, my copy of the Whippet plans is not complete, but I do have plans for a French horizontal 4 stroke a little like the Webster. It's a little more to my liking since it's open crank, and the intake is atmospheric which should make things simpler.

I'm with Tel. One each and one for charity

I have the full series (4 parts) for the Whippet, one thing that attracts me to that is the 40 dp gears - I have cutters for that, although, like you Kaleb, I usually prefer open crank engines.

Whippet GA.jpg

The French engine has 0.5 module gears. Could we possibly alter the design to use 40 D.P. gears instead? Also, who in the team prefers to work in imperial as opposed to metric?

If you let me have the gear details mate, I'll see how it can be shuffled. I personally work mostly in imperial but metric is not really a problem.

40dp is 0.635mod btw, so we are in the ball park.

Last edited:
Thanks Kaleb - 38/19 teeth in 40 dp would be very close, but a bugger to index with my gear. However 40/20 could be done by moving the cam shaft 1.5mm further away from the cranks shaft centre - that would make life easier. I'll study the plans in greater depth, to see what else that would affect, as soon as I get a bit of free time. Worse comes to the worst I can buy in the two needed 0.5 mod cutters - I know where I can get those reasonably cheap.

Very like the Webster, innit.

Back