August Project of the Month

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing. They are great little engines.
Jim

That is some quality work to be proud of. I would swear the only thing missing is the shop receipt. Is there a link to the build?

Eddie

That is some quality work to be proud of. I would swear the only thing missing is the shop receipt. Is there a link to the build?

Eddie

Click the picture at the start of this thread and it will take you to the build.

J

Cheers for the link Ramon, only up to the 3rd page, and learned so much already.

I am curious about some comment that have been made, re fitting glow plugs and the extra noise.
Pardon my ignorance, but why would fitting glow plugs, make the engine any louder, if it is still burning the same fuel?
I would have thought, heating the fuel would make it ignite quicker for certain, but it would still burn "off" at the same temp.
Is it because the chamber/fuel is heated, you can run a higher fuel rate and there fore get a greater explosion?

Edit: PS; I to, also love the smell and purrr of a diesel.

Eddie

Last edited:
Hi Eddie, It's pleasing to hear you find the thread useful.

My remark on a glow version probably being much louder was based purely on past experience (or rather exposure to) using open exhaust glow motors when flying model aircraft. The bark of the exhaust always appeared far more intense with a glow than a diesel - for instance I have an old Yulon 30 glow and the noise it emits is earsplitting compared to a similar size diesel though to be fair that particular engine is renowned for its noise output. Whilst predominantly glow motors tend to rev higher than diesels I confess I have no technical knowledge why this (the noise output) should be so, just one based on observation - perhaps others can shed some technical light on the matter.

And yes while burnt nitro might have a certain degree of pungent aroma you can't beat the smell of diesel;)

I hope you find the rest of the thread of interest

Regards - Ramon

Latest posts

Back