Attkinson engine & the Pendergrast design..

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found another beautifull build of this little engine on yt .
Not the pendergrast , the builder says it's a gingery .
But still , a nice runner , altough I think it misfires on occasion .
Sounds a bit like a hit'n miss .

Somehow I missed post #32 with the video. I was encouraged by his comments concerning his having to modify the intake port. I also came to that conclusion and made it a slot instead of a hole. Of course there are lots of ways to make that work. Maybe I'll get back to working on mine.

Last edited:
Gordon:
I believe you mentioned once that your Atkinson build borrowed something from the Pendergrast design? Did you have some sort of Pendergrast drawings to work from for the changes to the Gingery.?

Altho', when I pay attention, I am a very goo speller. In the 1850's and before, Mercans spelt things any way they sounded. But during the 1850s, Daniel Webster wrote his Spelling Primer. after that, things had to be spelled with certain rules--the silly rules we have now. Look at how the constitution was written in the old days--all nouns were capitalized on the first letter. That is also how th e Germans write nouns today. At one time (Shakespeere spelt his name at least 25 diffeent ways), General Jackson (later prez.) argued with someone (he was quite contentious, after all) that his opponent couldn't even spell (some word) 25 different ways! That's pretty funny in my Haughty Opinion. My point is that I believe Daniel Webster ultimately did a grave disservice to Merica. BTW, General Grant (my Hero) is thot to be a notorious speller today. But he certainly was NOT by his times standard--He only became famous a few years after Webster's disasterous book.

I ahve to admit, when I see horrible spellings I am put off, I have to consciously consider my own thots on that, that is, it is not the spelling that is important but the meaning. Can the poor spelling person put two ideas together and come up with a third or fourth idea? That's important , not spelling, not punctuation (except if you read Churchill's writing one has a difficult time understanding him because he doesn't use any commas).

Also, we might pay attention to how our mother country spells things. Spelt, learnt, and many other words that sound much more like how they are spelt.
Please remember that "English, as she is spoke" is a derivation of languages, from more than 2500 years ago: Celtic, Gaelic, Greek; 2000 years ago: Roman-latin, 1500 years ago; Saxon, Danish, Norsk (Viking); 1000 years ago: French, 500 years ago: Spanish; then just a few hundred years ago: Various Indian and Chines dialects, (from the East India Company and various Chinese business interests); German (Victorian and Hanovarian royalty), and 20th century influxes from the African, Asian and Caribbean and Eastern Europeans that have emigrated to Blighty for a better life...
"American" mostly derives from the "Mayflower-era" languages and accents that melded while on board ships for 3 to 6 months of passage to the New World. Then later influxes of the millions of Irish, Eastern European/Russian Jewry, Spanish, African and Caribbean and Chinese workforces who all went there for a better life... during the 18th and 19th Centuries, followed by everyone from everywhere in the 20th Century, as well as the various Native American languages that were there for a few thousand years before Columbus...
I recommend Churchill's "History of the English Speaking People". (Up to 1938). It condenses a library of books into a small-enough set of brief volumes to make History manageable. And he is very readable!
K2

Please remember that "English, as she is spoke" is a derivation of languages, from more than 2500 years ago: Celtic, Gaelic, Greek; 2000 years ago: Roman-latin, 1500 years ago; Saxon, Danish, Norsk (Viking); 1000 years ago: French, 500 years ago: Spanish; then just a few hundred years ago: Various Indian and Chines dialects, (from the East India Company and various Chinese business interests); German (Victorian and Hanovarian royalty), and 20th century influxes from the African, Asian and Caribbean and Eastern Europeans that have emigrated to Blighty for a better life...
"American" mostly derives from the "Mayflower-era" languages and accents that melded while on board ships for 3 to 6 months of passage to the New World. Then later influxes of the millions of Irish, Eastern European/Russian Jewry, Spanish, African and Caribbean and Chinese workforces who all went there for a better life... during the 18th and 19th Centuries, followed by everyone from everywhere in the 20th Century, as well as the various Native American languages that were there for a few thousand years before Columbus...
I recommend Churchill's "History of the English Speaking People". (Up to 1938). It condenses a library of books into a small-enough set of brief volumes to make History manageable. And he is very readable!
K2
Thanx, I've read ALL of Churchill's stuff in books, but not his newspaper or magazine writings. I even got to book 5 of that horrendously large encyclopedic sized biography of 8 large volumes=the ONLY person to ever check these books out of the library.

This Atkinson is so ridiculous of an engine (and it's relatively efficient too, I understand) that I want to start one, so I started searching for any drawings at all. There are MANY builds on utub and many mentions of Gingery model. But finding drawings is so far a bust. I'll keep looking however.

This Atkinson is so ridiculous of an engine (and it's relatively efficient too, I understand) that I want to start one, so I started searching for any drawings at all. There are MANY builds on utub and many mentions of Gingery model. But finding drawings is so far a bust. I'll keep looking however.
amazon.com/Building-Atkinson-Differential-Vincent-Gingery/dp/1878087231/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=atkinson+differential&qid=1611425844&s=books&sr=1-1

amazon.com/Building-Atkinson-Differential-Vincent-Gingery/dp/1878087231/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=atkinson+differential&qid=1611425844&s=books&sr=1-1
I never buy from gog or magog (amuzonk) if I can help it. I found the book at a cheaper price than gog on abebooks.com. My son told me however, that gog and magog own Abe. Don't know if that is true.

Steam: GKnipp is the one who was going to send us the drawings from his friend but never got around to it. I hope he is OK as I thimpfk his drawings are probably a better build than the Gingery. But not sure.

GKnipp got his drawings from Brooks Pendegrast but we haven't heard from him since June of 2020. Hope he stayed out of the covid .

Last edited:
PM sent. I apologize for being away so long. I am going to attempt to make a copy of these plans and send them to stragenmitsuko upon his approval.
You guys will love these

Greg

I am confused as to what we are waiting for and what is it? Apparently Greg received sketches from Brooks Pendergast with permission to share them. Then the drawings were rendered in CAD but only Greg has received these drawings. What does he have and will he ever release them?

Sorry for the impatient post but so far we have seen nothing but smoke and mirrors. Do drawings exist?

I am confused as to what we are waiting for and what is it? Apparently Greg received sketches from Brooks Pendergast with permission to share them. Then the drawings were rendered in CAD but only Greg has received these drawings. What does he have and will he ever release them?

Sorry for the impatient post but so far we have seen nothing but smoke and mirrors. Do drawings exist?
Relax, you've been waiting 6 months, He is back and working on it. Says he needs to send them. Don't know if he knows how to zip or what files are uploadable. Yes, I've been waiting too and a bundle of other guys as well. I do, however, like hyourself, wonder if I will live to see them. LOL

I'de be happy to help out , but I didn't receive a private message .

I'de be happy to help out , but I didn't receive a private message .
In the mean time, I've done a small bit of searching for some drawings of any sort for this build, oddly, I have found some other types of engines that are very intrigueing but impossible to find drawings for too. One is that Coombes Engine. Anybody have plans for the Coombes Engine? Can anyone tell me what book in the Gingery series is the Atkinson Engine?

In the mean time, I've done a small bit of searching for some drawings of any sort for this build, oddly, I have found some other types of engines that are very intrigueing but impossible to find drawings for too. One is that Coombes Engine. Anybody have plans for the Coombes Engine? Can anyone tell me what book in the Gingery series is the Atkinson Engine?
https://www.gingerybookstore.com/

OK.
Here is a link to the files I created:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13jC5HWuBakT9M-XBz8e1oYulAwKTAXRj?usp=sharing
It seems Greg might have run into some trouble trying to arrange the files to be shared. I've contacted him & he did truly want to post them. I've put them here on my drive to be shared. I may receive some "Flak" for sharing them, but it seems Greg was granted "Permission" from the original designer, A. Brooks Pendergrast, so I'm putting them up. If there are any issues involved in doing this, I will take them down immediately.

A lot of time was spent in doing these drawings, & I made every effort to preserve the original design intent. I recreated the CAD models from the original hand sketched drawings. The only "Liberty" I took with them was in changing some of the dimensions to more of a "standard" layout, (Some parts were dimensioned from both sides of the parts, some had some missing dimensions...) I recreated the build notes as well from his hand typed documents (I HATE typing), so there could very be well errors, I made no attempt at fixing spelling & grammatical errors. I did decide not to use all cap's though...what you have is exactly what he provided in his original info.

There is a small BOM included with the build notes & I have included what I feel to be a more complete BOM. The file name is "MBM.PDF" & it lists all the parts & what drawing they can be found on.

Lastly, all credit goes to A. Brooks Pendergrast for the design & thanks to him for agreeing to share his design. Thanks to Greg for giving me the opportunity in recreating the drawings. Standard disclaimers apply, use at your own risk & no claims are made that this design is a successful one.

John

Last edited:
OK.
Here is a link to the files I created:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13jC5HWuBakT9M-XBz8e1oYulAwKTAXRj?usp=sharing
It seems Greg might have run into some trouble trying to arrange the files to be shared. I've contacted him & he did truly want to post them. I've put them here on my drive to be shared. I may receive some "Flak" for sharing them, but it seems Greg was granted "Permission" from the original designer, A. Brooks Pendergrast, so I'm putting them up. If there are any issues involved in doing this, I will take them down immediately.

A lot of time was spent in doing these drawings, & I made every effort to preserve the original design intent. I recreated the CAD models from the original hand sketched drawings. The only "Liberty" I took with them was in changing some of the dimensions to more of a "standard" layout, (Some parts were dimensioned from both sides of the parts, some had some missing dimensions...) I recreated the build notes as well from his hand typed documents (I HATE typing), so there could very be well errors, I made no attempt at fixing spelling & grammatical errors. I did decide not to use all cap's though...what you have is exactly what he provided in his original info.

There is a small BOM included with the build notes & I have included what I feel to be a more complete BOM. The file name is "MBM.PDF" & it lists all the parts & what drawing they can be found on.

Lastly, all credit goes to A. Brooks Pendergrast for the design & thanks to him for agreeing to share his design. Thanks to Greg for giving me the opportunity in recreating the drawings. Standard disclaimers apply, use at your own risk & no claims are made that this design is a successful one.

John
And I thank all of you for your efforts. BTW, I looking for the Gingery book on his Atkinson Differential when I discovered there was also an "Atkinson Cycle" which is a different build. I lookt up the stuff on Wiki and found he had created a THIRD type engine which Wiki explained was like a 2 cycle engine. So I went to Abe books, Alibris and you guys' all time favorite gog and magog, and I found a single "Differential" for sale, the minimum price of 23$ PLUS shipping! There were others there as well: IN THE 158$ category! Well, the Gingery website is offering them for 12$ or under! So I went there with the intent of buying one of each but when I ordered, they BOTH were out of stock. So dissapointed, I went outside to have a smoke and guess what I found? Have hyou guessed? It was a Gingery "Differential" that I had order a week ago and forgot about sitting on my porch. So HALLELUYA! What a pleasant surprize. I do that, ordeer a book and know it's coming but by the time it reaches me I have forgotten what book I order. Ha ha. I learned this mantra: "O'wah tahnas siam" many years ago and I feel like an elated fool. LOL

PS, does anyone know where Brooks P. is? The way he is being spoken of, I thimpfk maybe he has passt on to the great steam engine.

Latest posts

Back