Attkinson engine & the Pendergrast design..

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some drawings -- the Corliss Cole Ray drawings that I have in bitmap. They are not the same as Gknipp's. This forum will not accept bitmaps. I was going to convert them to JPEGs but now you have given me a much better solution. Thanx.
Is the Corliss Cole Ray engine also an Atkinson Differential engine or some other engine entirely?

Richard Hed:
Thanks for your offer - but does this Corliss Ray engine run??
We were interested in the Pendegrast design drawings because it has been shown to run.
Now you're throwing in another version and getting things confusing (for me anyway).

The more the merrier I guess. Upload them and we'll take a look.
Thanks
They run, but the two I have do not. I bought one from an old and dieing machinist 40 years ago. He had said it was complete but it was not, needs about 15-20% more work done on it. The other one I bought as a kit around the same time. I have gotten less far in that time than the old machinist had. But now, I am goint to start work on both of them soon (soon--like the next year or two). If you want to see a working model you can view

or (this is the first time I ever saw this one)

Here's a double:

This is the famous "Coles/Ray Corliss" which is the one I have with some modified parts.

The model with the "L" shaped aluminum base is the Coles/Ray Corliss. I had more links in this last night wh;en I posted it, and the short sentenaces were changed around and the links are gone.

Last edited:
Is the Corliss Cole Ray engine also an Atkinson Differential engine or some other engine entirely?
Corliss is an engine invented about 1848 (not sure) in which the valves are taught to shut off sooner if the engine is speeding too much, that is, if it is not using the power generated. It is nothing like the Atkinson at all. It is far more complex. the reason why it is called the Cole Ray is becau;se "Coles" foundered the kit and Ray made the drawings for it. I have a copy of the original Ray's -- they are absolutely AWEFUL in today's standards, but for 1946 they are a grand work of ART. See abouve in my reply and you can visit some Corliss engines and even see the Ray model. (Don't thimk this is a Coles)

OH crap, I am working 6/12s now and haven't time to put them in a zip. Will do so when I have time.

They run, but the two I have do not. I bought one from an old and dieing machinist 40 years ago. He had said it was complete but it was not, needs about 15-20% more work done on it. The other one I bought as a kit around the same time. I have gotten less far in that time than the old machinist had. But now, I am goint to start work on both of them soon (soon--like the next year or two). If you want to see a working model you can view

or (this is the first time I ever saw this one)

Here's a double:

This is the famous "Coles/Ray Corliss" which is the one I have with some modified parts.

Your videos are not showing up. Just a black box.

Richard Hed:
Nice engine but
WHY ARE YOU WASTING OUR TIME HERE.
This thread is about the Atkinson differential engine and in particular the Pendegrast design.

I'll say no more. :(

NOW Lets get back to the Atkinson differential discussion PLEASE.

Folks, I'm sorry, however I have not forgotten about any of you. I'm trying to get help zipping the Atkinson drawings so I can share with all of you.
Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

Greg

I'm trying to get help zipping the Atkinson drawings so I can share with all of you.

If you're using Windows it's very simple. Have all the drawings in a single folder then right-click on that folder and from the drop-down that opens up hover over the 'Send To' option and another small drop-down will show several options. One of those options will be 'Compressed (zip) folder' - select that one and it will created a zipped folder with all your drawings in it, and will leave your original drawings exactly as they were on your PC.

If you're using a MAC or some version of Linux then I have no idea.

Folks, I'm sorry, however I have not forgotten about any of you. I'm trying to get help zipping the Atkinson drawings so I can share with all of you.

Greg
Perhaps you could send the individual files to someone like Cogsy (global moderator and staff member)and they could zip and/or convert the files and they could then post them.

If you're using Windows it's very simple. Have all the drawings in a single folder then right-click on that folder and from the drop-down that opens up hover over the 'Send To' option and another small drop-down will show several options. One of those options will be 'Compressed (zip) folder' - select that one and it will created a zipped folder with all your drawings in it, and will leave your original drawings exactly as they were on your PC.

If you're using a MAC or some version of Linux then I have no idea.

Depends on the Linux distro, but on Ubuntu you can right-click and compress files - don't have to go through "Send to"; it is right there on the pop-up menu.

I found another beautifull build of this little engine on yt .
Not the pendergrast , the builder says it's a gingery .
But still , a nice runner , altough I think it misfires on occasion .
Sounds a bit like a hit'n miss .

I guess you hadn't noticed the hit-and-miss device to govern speed, mounted on the front. (The "square box thing with a valve operator/inhibitor and spring).
The governor fly weights are probably on the shaft on the reverse of the engine in this view?

but I may be wrong?

I guess you hadn't noticed the hit-and-miss device to govern speed, mounted on the front. (The "square box thing with a valve operator/inhibitor and spring).
The governor fly weights are probably on the shaft on the reverse of the engine in this view?

but I may be wrong?
The Gingery design does not have a governor. The parts on the front are the intake valve/carburetor and exhaust valve/muffler.

Yes the valves are vacuum operated , so each time the intake valve opens there ought to be a power stroke . But that doesn't always seem to happen so I thought it was misfiring from time to time .
Anyway , it's a runner wich is an achievement in itself .

The model is lovely to watch and see running. But like many "patent avoiding alternatives" never really got going - probably just not a commercial success after the "patent" blockade ended? I'll have to read the history on wicked-feet.

Greg
Have you made any progress on distributing these drawings? I certainly would like to see them and so would several others.

Are you running Windows 10?
If so Zipping is easy.
Select all the files, then RIGHT click and you should see an option in the list to ZIP.
Select that and a choose a place to put the zip file that you can find later and you're done.
Easy Peezy

Latest posts

Back