Attention! Rancid with other word hardened and unuseful grease in semi-universal dividing head BS-0, BS-1, universal dividing head BS-2.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Norm

it is mainly castor oil which was used in WW1 aircraft egines and gave the aces of old 'Montezuma's Revenge

Yes Castor Oil is well known for this and I believe used medically for just this purpose.

I think you might be right The MSDS for Hellerine states vegetable oil and ethanol as it's constituents.

I think "Castrol R" and some of it's competitors is basically castor oil that's why a scramble meet smells like a mobile chip shop.

So back to us who had 'Diesel' or correctly compression ignition model engines the fuel was ofter 'cow' castor oil, kerosene and a ether meths with a dab of amyl nitrate or nitride.

Sounds like that concoction would explode if you looked at it too hard, small wonder it makes those little engines go so well !

Best Regards Mark

Attachments

• 841988.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 176
I've spent the morning in a Citroen Deux Chevaux which my son is treating as a Boys Toy. Goes with his Lotus Elise SE

Grandson at 11 is having his first driving less.

Castor oill? The Mad Rich offring has just topped up the 80 Million Frenh Farmers can't be wrong thing's suspension with medicinal and expesive stuff

Hi Terry

I used tallow too for conduit threading when I was an apprentice. It has quite a pleasant smell even tasty, I wouldn't try eating eating the stuff although you probably could if it was new. It wouldn't do your arteries much good but probably wouldn't kill you immediately. Then of course we "advanced" and were using Trefolex which is foul smelling stuff even when new, I much preferred the old tallow.

Have you ever used Hellerine for putting rubber sleeves on it smells a bit like baby oil, which i think it basically is without the added perfume.

Best Regards Mark

Hi Mark,
I have plenty of 'lard' these days, can't use it but would like to get rid of it ;) As for rubber gloves I just use Baby powder or any old talcum powder if I can get it, works like a treat and keeps me smelling nice which the wife likes so it's a win-win, By the way I served my apprenticeship in the West Midlands at a BMC (British Motor Corp.) subsidiary.

Stay safe and healthy,

TerryD

I've spent the morning in a Citroen Deux Chevaux which my son is treating as a Boys Toy. Goes with his Lotus Elise SE

Grandson at 11 is having his first driving less.

Castor oill? The Mad Rich offring has just topped up the 80 Million Frenh Farmers can't be wrong thing's suspension with medicinal and expesive stuff
Hi Norman,

bit of an exaggeration there. The population of France is a bit less than the UK (65Million) and I know for a fact that they're not all farmers;)

Stay safe,

TerryD

If you mix lard and mineral oil makes a cutting oil. The adding make lard easy to use.

At one time it was cheaper to buy cutting oil .
But I think day has changed.

Dave

You can buy 250 gram blocks of lard in most supermarkets !

But even better, you can buy Purifird lard oil by the 5 litres
[/QUOTE]

Here chart out of How to Run a Lathe on cutting oil.

Dave

Screenshot_20210509-094934_Drive.jpg

Hi Norman,

bit of an exaggeration there. The population of France is a bit less than the UK (65Million) and I know for a fact that they're not all farmers;)

Stay safe,

TerryD
Jokes apart, Citren produced almost 4 MILLION Deau Chevaux.
Despite the last one produced( in Portugal), they in 1990 are still being 'restored and restored' with galvanised chassis and almost all spares.
My neighbour- a Syrian architect recalled that his mother had and adored hers 40 years ago.
Today, my 11 year old grandson had his first driving lesson. At 91, I'll be handing in my driving licence.
Not for my sit on lawn mower or my electric disability one:D

Here short list of cutting ingredients.
1) Paraffin (candle/canning wax)
2) Naphthenic
3) Vegetable oil (cooking oil)
4) Mineral oil
5) BHT aka Butylated hydroxytoluene. See below for more information.
6) Sulfur

Note big names in cutting oil uses Paraffin and Vegetable oil.

The BHT is listed under several categories in catalogues and databases, such as food additive, household product ingredient, industrial additive, personal care product/cosmetic ingredient, pesticide ingredient, plastic/rubber ingredient and medical/veterinary/research.

Dave

Last edited:
I restored an Martini Henry once and it was covered in what I concluded was rancid yak butter. Seriously, many of my 100 year old machining books have all sorts of animal based recipes for cutting and lubricating compounds. Maybe they are still being used. Or perhaps it is something out of the Soylent Green factories
soylent green one sick movie i were wondering if i were the only one that had seen it but this makes two

Latest posts

Back