Attempting Gordon Nano

Help Support HMEM:

sniffipn

Reaction score
Despite still being a non-runner, I decided to anodise the cylinder and spinner anyway.
Its surprising just how small this engine is when compared to the Clanford Clan.
what a lovely deep red. nothing wrong with a plain aluminium finish - but the colour certainly lifts it. does it get stored in an oily rag, or on a purpose made mounting?

creast

Reaction score
what a lovely deep red. nothing wrong with a plain aluminium finish - but the colour certainly lifts it. does it get stored in an oily rag, or on a purpose made mounting?
All my engines are mounted and on display in a cabinet :)

KenC

Reaction score
If you make the Nano carb exactly to the drawings, the carb bore of 2.4mm diameter has an area of 4.524 sq mm. But the 2.2mm dia jet projects into the bore some 0.4mm beyond the centre and this reduces the choke area to 1.356 sq mm. [This neglects the reduction in area caused by the needle itsself]. If the jet does not project this much into the carb bore, the choke area will be far too big to allow the engine to draw fuel. By contrast your Clanford Clan has a carb area, [neglecting the reduction caused by the needle], of 1.53mm for an engine almost 2.5 times the displacement. Even if built to drawing, unless the Nano is capable of much higher rpm than the Clan, the carb area is much too large.
Ken

creast

Reaction score
If you make the Nano carb exactly to the drawings, the carb bore of 2.4mm diameter has an area of 4.524 sq mm. But the 2.2mm dia jet projects into the bore some 0.4mm beyond the centre and this reduces the choke area to 1.356 sq mm. [This neglects the reduction in area caused by the needle itsself]. If the jet does not project this much into the carb bore, the choke area will be far too big to allow the engine to draw fuel. By contrast your Clanford Clan has a carb area, [neglecting the reduction caused by the needle], of 1.53mm for an engine almost 2.5 times the displacement. Even if built to drawing, unless the Nano is capable of much higher rpm than the Clan, the carb area is much too large.
Ken
Hi again Ken,
Thanks for the info.
With the revised spraybar which passes through the venturi I have 0.9 sq mm area so much better than the standard setup.
The engine draws fuel readily when choking the carb and I am still looking to find better fuel.
I have put this model aside awhile and am going to build a simplified rig to test out various combinations for very small capacity designs.
Re-making parts with turned threads is so time consuming and frustrating when the result doesn't work so I plan to make a simpler version with the cylinder clamped via the head with three screws and the case cover in a similar fashion. The crankcase and head will be pretty much simple blocks as weight is not an issue and for short run trials heat dissipation can be managed.
This will also allow me to explore reed valve and rear rotary intakes too.
I guess I am a bu**er for punishment.
Rich

Latest posts